Any car mechanics?

45 minutes ago, neil82 said:

absorbs any fumes/pressure that build up in the fuel tank, bleeds it into the intake system when the engine is running, they have been used for years by pretty much every maker just that some put them well out of sight so you might think some cars don`t have one

The newest motor I have ever owned is 2002 and I do all my own repairs have never come across it, does that go on diesel or petrol motors or both, anything that feeds more than fresh air into an engine is just designed to cause early engine failure in my mind and I remove them all, though as motors get newer I feel more alienated by them, 3 best engines in my mind in no particular order are the British built A series in its many forms, the ford 2.0 pinto and for diesels  the best of all the banana manifold 2.5 DI as used in earlier transits after that it’s all down hill ✌️✌️

17 hours ago, kanny said:

I was putting oil in the motor today and noticed that ive had a mouse nibbling my engine...does anyone know what this part is and what its does ?  Everything is running ok no leaks or anything I've got a lot on at the moment so could do without a trip to the garage if its nothing to important   ...it's a Audi s3 

Thanks 

IMG-20191016-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20191016-WA0004.jpg

17 hours ago, kanny said:

I was putting oil in the motor today and noticed that ive had a mouse nibbling my engine...does anyone know what this part is and what its does ?  Everything is running ok no leaks or anything I've got a lot on at the moment so could do without a trip to the garage if its nothing to important   ...it's a Audi s3 

Thanks 

IMG-20191016-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20191016-WA0004.jpg

6 hours ago, Greyman said:

What a bunch of fanny,s it clearly is a fluid tank , take the lid off and if a red fluid is inside I would suggest power steering res, if not just follow the pipe to what it’s attached to ??

HaHa.  If all else fails and you have given it a good thrashing with a branch like John Cleese, try reading the owners manual.  Mice do like chewing all sorts of things and the plastic caps off of power steering fluid tanks are no exception.  If you take the cap off and look inside you should see red TQF fluid.  OR charcoal if it is powered by a steam engine.  PS buy a mouse trap or else it'll be you brake pipes , electrics or another chewable substitute. this might mean that Micky chews the wires and the car + anything like you house or garage go up in smoke also.  OR your house.  if you have a freezer in an outer shed they sometimes chew through the cables and trip the fuse so all the contents of the freezer defrost and go rotten.  Bloody mice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Well every day is a school day eh? cheers neil82?

Only a school day if you learn something mate, all I,ve learnt is they seem to have stuck another useless filter on newer motors but what does it do, all my motors just vent through a pipe that is located inside the filler cap and runs alongside the pipe the fuel goes down hence the hissing noise when you break the seal and open the fuel cap, the small pipe that is attached to the lid looks to me like it’s an overflow pipe if the system gets over pressured so if it is venting the fuel what happens if it does over pressure does it let fuel out onto a hot engine, if so wtf, are there any modern mechanics who can explain A why we need it and B what is it meant to do, just had a little google myself and don’t look anything like what was put up by op so I’m back to thinking your all a load of Fanny’s and it’s the power steering fluid ?

BA85589A-3E06-4703-9A34-AA85765D99F1.png

Edited by Greyman
40 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Only a school day if you learn something mate, all I,ve learnt is they seem to have stuck another useless filter on newer motors but what does it do, all my motors just vent through a pipe that is located inside the filler cap and runs alongside the pipe the fuel goes down hence the hissing noise when you break the seal and open the fuel cap, the small pipe that is attached to the lid looks to me like it’s an overflow pipe if the system gets over pressured so if it is venting the fuel what happens if it does over pressure does it let fuel out onto a hot engine, if so wtf, are there any modern mechanics who can explain A why we need it and B what is it meant to do, just had a little google myself and don’t look anything like what was put up by op so I’m back to thinking your all a load of Fanny’s and it’s the power steering fluid ?

BA85589A-3E06-4703-9A34-AA85765D99F1.png

Now Google audi charcoal canister...

It doesn't fill up with fluid it fills up with vapour .. it doesn't vent to earth it vents back in to the engine , it's designed to stop pollution..

What car do you drive I'd be surprised if ones not fitted to yours 

2 minutes ago, Chid said:

Now Google audi charcoal canister...

It doesn't fill up with fluid it fills up with vapour .. it doesn't vent to earth it vents back in to the engine , it's designed to stop pollution..

What car do you drive I'd be surprised if ones not fitted to yours 

A mk6 2.5 duratorque powered transit 2000 as my everyday also have a 2002 Honda jazz broomstick for the wife to fly around in a 1990 Saab 900 aero turbo and a 1975 Land Rover 109, an egr valve only carry’s vapour and vents back to the engine but it still fucks your motor up in the end ?

2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

A mk6 2.5 duratorque powered transit 2000 as my everyday also have a 2002 Honda jazz broomstick for the wife to fly around in a 1990 Saab 900 aero turbo and a 1975 Land Rover 109, an egr valve only carry’s vapour and vents back to the engine but it still fucks your motor up in the end ?

The jazz will have a fuel vapour filter (that's what there called on the jazz) 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Half of the answers on here are the biggest bag of bollocks I've ever heard....

the really stupid bit is, some of the sheite here is very similar to the crap quoted by the manufacturers, very much how we are going to be fukced over in the name of the environment as most know how to make a clean, well powered mode of transport but  the greenies know better so they screw things up, if we went back to horse based travel they would still fukc it up with some sort of screwball design of fart plug for the horses arse

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1