Lamping rats

darrren

My mate has a problem with rats in his pond. Mostly shoot catapults but had to get the gun out on here. Place is crawling, holes everywhere but due to it being where it is I can't smoke it for the terriers. 

Started off with my girlfriends sml pw900r. A very underrated gun. I've had everything with it from rabbits all the way upto hares and good distances aswell. So In using a small crew t6 and a scope clamp, baiting a spot on the ru Beith liquidized catfood and just waiting, and yo idont have to wait long. I've zerod the guns but shooting down a bank and I have missed a few shots, I'm not sure if it's as I'm shooting down a slope, or if it's the trajectory of the 22 or just a pants shot. 

Any suggestions? Taking neck shots as I find that a better kill zone if I am a mm. Or 2 either side left or right. DSC_1649.JPG.faf2dd16d802b685e2ac9bfb7331be85.JPG

This was the first one with the smk. A nice clean kill, missed a second, I think hasty shot. Only short 20 minute sessions so called it a night. IMG_20191013_220206_048.jpg.6bc0727a600daaea03656b932c6aad1f.jpgsecond night they were a bit more skittish of the light so I bagged this one and thought I'd leave it at that, give a few days off to let them relax. 

I went back last night after 2 nights off, and couldn't believe it the place was moving with them. This time I used my hw97k which I don't use very often, but it was zero checked in the day and then I put this one to sleep. I did miss a second shot, again I don't know if it's me being hasty and moving, or if it's the trajectory of the pellet curve. The firing position is not good though as my only point I can shoot from is a funny angle so it's not the most solid position. 

IMG_20191015_201302_780.jpg.c34bdf48c401dfeb97be5e0e429b5cc5.jpg

Again a high neck shot with this one. I have missed just as many but at least my hits are clean. 

DSC_1675.JPG

• Like 4

Ditch the lamp, Rats are as clever as politicians.Get  a  battery powered garden led light string ,like [BANNED TEXT] woman put in vases and stuffe .Put  a stick in the ground and wrap the string of led,s around it o you can see but they aint bothered .

Pour your bait at the foot close enough for you to see the diners, and wait .After  you take your first shot ,which seems to be your kill shot ,count to ten to settle your breathing only then take the 2nd shot when your not all excited and fast breathing .And dont be afraid to aim at the shoulders its a bigger area than the head and being Mammals like us vitals are in the miggle ,heart lungs etc and no one like being shot there .

If you cant find an LED set up bright enough just use the mk 1 red felt tip pen to change a bright white light to a more subtle red ,easier to use at night and lees liable to spook ratty atb

• Like 2

Got to have clean seaks Rez ,none of that red stuff spoiling your image :thumbs: 

Put the light on about an hour or 2 before shooting so they get used to it and feel "safe" around it ,and then pop ,the red light is easier for you to keep your nightvision .An on off white light messes your eyesight as it takes about 30 mins to get "night eyes" atb

• Like 1

You woukdnt believe how many times they been through the wash. missus sent them out for me to afgahn earlier this year, first thing i did was spill coffe all over them. Since then theyve had everything on them, infact im suprised they look so clean on here lol. I will give that a go also going to red filter the lamp too. Are those cheap 70 odd quid night vision setups worth it off fleabay or? Stick as i am? Its more the noise of my gun i find that sends them running more than anything. Its standard hw97 and being by water at night the sound really does travel.

Had a Much more pricey call me dave unit ,but couldnt get on with a face full of tv image and glare ,some do find them fine depends on you .Got a Pard 007 ,different league ,but try the lamp on your mrs pr900 much quieter than the Hw ,imho .

With the ten shot mag in you should clean up or try the LED ,idea just requires patience and a  flask of coffee as i defrosted my windscreen at 5am :thumbs:

4 hours ago, darrren said:

You woukdnt believe how many times they been through the wash. missus sent them out for me to afgahn earlier this year, first thing i did was spill coffe all over them. Since then theyve had everything on them, infact im suprised they look so clean on here lol. I will give that a go also going to red filter the lamp too. Are those cheap 70 odd quid night vision setups worth it off fleabay or? Stick as i am? Its more the noise of my gun i find that sends them running more than anything. Its standard hw97 and being by water at night the sound really does travel.

I sometimes use my 97 for the rats, makes a change from pcp’s... you can take the cap off the front of the barrel with an Allen key and pack the void out with foam and use a small women’s hair curler to make sure the pellets don’t clip.. makes them a lot quieter?
like bc above said the pard007 is a good bit of kit

• Like 2
12 hours ago, si brown said:

I sometimes use my 97 for the rats, makes a change from pcp’s... you can take the cap off the front of the barrel with an Allen key and pack the void out with foam and use a small women’s hair curler to make sure the pellets don’t clip.. makes them a lot quieter?
like bc above said the pard007 is a good bit of kit

That’s a useful tip si, but why do you have to use a small women’s hair curler? Would curlers used by large women be no good for this application??

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, darrren said:

on the 97? so i can take the silencer bit off the end and pack it out with foam is that what you mean? interested in ways to make it quieter, do you have a diagram at all with what you mean about the hair curler?

If you put hw 97 silencer kit in on ebay youl see its a piece of green nylon scourere and some washers ,just something to absorbe the sound so Si,s tip saves you a few pounds .

By packing the body of the not silencer with foam your reducing the noise out the end so less to scare away the rats,and as Balaur says let them get use to the light and theyre yours for the taking as they dont associate light with danger atb

6 hours ago, darrren said:

on the 97? so i can take the silencer bit off the end and pack it out with foam is that what you mean? interested in ways to make it quieter, do you have a diagram at all with what you mean about the hair curler?

Un screw the end cap with a 7mm Allen, you can pack it with basically anything, wrap it around the curler and stick it back in.. just make sure it’s a snug fit and it will stay centred, if you can find something the right size you can bung a baffle in half way?
712644A1-0C45-4EF0-8BD4-34B40923472F.jpeg.2b0ae1e775f43ec17ef2e633e9de39d3.jpegF4261BC3-8DCE-4DD1-923B-10C6F2ECA7DF.jpeg.05f8a044b81afccfd2024acbcc95717a.jpeg2CCB35D4-E832-4B86-A618-4FC720613D36.jpeg.2dd1158ba460a9a798d0b7f2e7a73676.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, si brown said:

Un screw the end cap with a 7mm Allen, you can pack it with basically anything, wrap it around the curler and stick it back in.. just make sure it’s a snug fit and it will stay centred, if you can find something the right size you can bung a baffle in half way?
712644A1-0C45-4EF0-8BD4-34B40923472F.jpeg.2b0ae1e775f43ec17ef2e633e9de39d3.jpegF4261BC3-8DCE-4DD1-923B-10C6F2ECA7DF.jpeg.05f8a044b81afccfd2024acbcc95717a.jpeg2CCB35D4-E832-4B86-A618-4FC720613D36.jpeg.2dd1158ba460a9a798d0b7f2e7a73676.jpeg

That’s a good tip for any hw97 owner?

• Like 2