She’s got birds now - the UK Carrier Strike Group

14 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Don't those 100'000 ton US supercarriers have like 5000+ crew aboard, including aircrew etc? Mental!

Yes, it is mate. Although many powers around the world are looking to acquire their own carriers the Russian and Chinese 'carrier killers' might really change Naval doctrine re the use of carriers. It's a interesting and somewhat concerning arms race.

probem was the old flat tops were fkd when the birds were off  ,they recond they would last 2 mins thats why they needed the frigats to watch them .times have changed now i realise that  maybe it was 5000 on the nimitz  and enterprize  my memory fades me now?   in fact it was 5000 your right i remember now they only let 1000 asore a night in porsmouth 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve posted updates on this over the years. Here’s some more for those interested...

That thrust vectoring nozzle makes it look like something straight out of Transformers!

great video this..iv'e seen it a good few times..

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

They were in the UK military. I think the USMC and Italians still operate them. The F-35B is a 'jump-jet' like them though.

There is endless controversy over the Government's decision to have STOVL carriers rather than conventional CATOBAR ones. But it's what we have now and given our history with the Harrier fleet, it's sorta "what us Brits do!".

There was a series on the tv a few weeks ago about the new f-35b and three pilots learning how to fly it ... it’s some machine. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ArchieHood said:

Was nice to see them flying again albeit they were Spanish.

was you there mate..

it look's impossible the way it was just hovering there.looking at the video i thought the main thrust was coming from the small nozzles by the red and orange circle.

untill he started climbing then could see the blackish smoke from underneath..

2 minutes ago, ArchieHood said:

We go every year, have a friend who lives in Limington so park at there's and then a 5 minute walk to the runway.He was one of the first on the scene in 2001 when this one overshot the runway.

Plane1.jpg.74d8b12d852a01ab330e741a85c81077.jpgPlane3.jpg.ca9ebf545eeb085cabff00fcb83c9962.jpgPlane4.jpg.7eb73b32232bff0e294fea6162fe5efd.jpg

christ there's some money's worth in the water there..that's some sight.

took the lads to raf cosford years back great place to visit..

there was a cracking guy martin programme on a while back about the vulcan i think it was called it's last flight another amazing machine..

2 minutes ago, king said:

christ there's some money's worth in the water there..that's some sight.

took the lads to raf cosford years back great place to visit..

there was a cracking guy martin programme on a while back about the vulcan i think it was called it's last flight another amazing machine..

I used to have some cracking videos of the Vulcan taking off, it used to set all the car alarms off. Another amazing aircraft.This was from the good old days where you could stand right at the end of the runway, not possible now after the Shoreham incident.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ArchieHood said:

I used to have some cracking videos of the Vulcan taking off, it used to set all the car alarms off. Another amazing aircraft.This was from the good old days where you could stand right at the end of the runway, not possible now after the Shoreham incident.

just listened to that through head phones.feck me i didnt expect such a noise lol.i thought he was going to land.

it look's to be going to slow to stay in the air..beast of a machine fair play..i bet your ears were ringing lol

10 hours ago, king said:

great video this..iv'e seen it a good few times..

And they pay them money to do this ...must rate as one of the best jobs going ..

10 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

f35qe.jpg

That thrust vectoring nozzle makes it look like something straight out of Transformers!

What a cracking picture ..

3 minutes ago, sussex said:

And they pay them money to do this ...must rate as one of the best jobs going ..

What a cracking picture ..

you would fly it for free lol.

yea thats some picture put up by BH