She’s got birds now - the UK Carrier Strike Group

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve posted updates on this over the years. Here’s some more for those interested...

That thrust vectoring nozzle makes it look like something straight out of Transformers!

great video this..iv'e seen it a good few times..

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

How do planes going as fast manage to stop on the short runways on those things ?

The UK carriers are designed for Short Take Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) aircraft. Like the Harriers of old. They are able to direct their thrust downward to give lift, reducing the need for forward speed and therefore runway space needed.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

The UK carriers are designed for Short Take Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) aircraft. Like the Harriers of old. They are able to direct their thrust downward to give lift, reducing the need for forward speed and therefore runway space needed.

i thought the harrier's were fazed out BH.some feat of engineering them..

4 minutes ago, king said:

i thought the harrier's were fazed out BH.some feat of engineering them..

They were in the UK military. I think the USMC and Italians still operate them. The F-35B is a 'jump-jet' like them though.

There is endless controversy over the Government's decision to have STOVL carriers rather than conventional CATOBAR ones. But it's what we have now and given our history with the Harrier fleet, it's sorta "what us Brits do!".

Edited by Born Hunter
Just now, Born Hunter said:

They were in the UK military. I think the USMC and Italians still operate them. The F-35B is a 'jump-jet' like them though.

There is endless controversy over the Government's decision to have STOVL carriers rather than conventional CATOBAR ones, but it's what we have and with our history with the Harrier fleet, it's sorta what we Brits 'do'.

ah right i thought only the harrier's flew like that and have all been fazed out..

that's some amazing job flying a jet fighter..

14 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

There is endless controversy over the Government's decision to have STOVL carriers rather than conventional CATOBAR ones. But it's what we have now and given our history with the Harrier fleet, it's sorta "what us Brits do!".

i seen this a while back 462mph model jet.sound's amazing going past..

2 minutes ago, riohog said:

bit of a step up from the days of the buccaners and phantoms they had on the ark years ago  

Indeed. Automation and networking is the future. For instance those 70'000 ton carriers, will be manned by just 700 crew (ships company) as a result of comprehensive automation. Compared with the French Charles de Gaulle, 42'000 ton carrier, 1350.

I've read that as few as two F-35s can provide the command and control capability that an AWACS traditionally would! All assets are becoming more integrated so the sensors on one can direct the weapons of another. Future developments will be largely in these areas I think.

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Indeed. Automation and networking is the future. For instance those 70'000 ton carriers, will be manned by just 700 crew (ships company) as a result of comprehensive automation. Compared with the French Charles de Gaulle, 42'000 ton carrier, 1350.

I've read that as few as two F-35s can provide the command and control capability that an AWACS traditionally would! All assets are becoming more integrated so the sensors on one can direct the weapons of another. Future developments will be largely in these areas I think.

i remember years ago the nimitz anchored off spit head  with marines on board compliment was 1500  men ,thats alot of men to go down to davy jones locker if it ever got hit!!!.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, riohog said:

i remember years ago the nimitz anchored off spit head  with marines on board compliment was 1500  men ,thats alot of men to go down to davy jones locker if it ever got hit!!!.

Don't those 100'000 ton US supercarriers have like 5000+ crew aboard, including aircrew etc? Mental!

Yes, it is mate. Although many powers around the world are looking to acquire their own carriers the Russian and Chinese 'carrier killer' missiles might really change Naval doctrine re the use of carriers. It's an interesting and somewhat concerning arms race.

Edited by Born Hunter