walking boots

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895161/merrell-men-s-moab-2-mid-gore-tex-boots-15895161

any folk on here recommend a boot similar to this type ,water resistant/proof as possible and not toooo expensive...i have Meindl boots so leather is not what im looking for this time...much appreciated if you could

got to say im not interested in Berghaus or Karrimor

Edited by jigsaw

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have had most makes of soft walking boots berghause, merril, high tech, north face etc and the best ones by far were called scarpa I think, got them from go outdoors, I tend to kill a pair most winter

It was the wet type sold by our local departement d'eau.  If you want some I'll send it. It will just cost you postage.

In all fairness thats not such a terrible idea 

Posted Images

I've had a pair of Hi-Tec walking boots for around 9 or 10 years. They have been used for shooting, beating, fishing, dog walking and for the last 6 years have been my mole trapping boots six or seven months of the year. A couple of months ago the heel started coming away from the boot so I glued it and it has lasted OK. But, to be on the safe side as they had started to let a bit of damp in at the toes I ordered an other pair. They are just as good and really comfortable.

Hi-TecTrailstone WP were less than £40. The prices direct from Hi-Tec can be bettered using Amazon or ebay.

https://www.hi-tec.co.uk/mens/footwear/hiking-walking-boots/

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I've had a pair of Hi-Tec walking boots for around 9 or 10 years. They have been used for shooting, beating, fishing, dog walking and for the last 6 years have been my mole trapping boots six or seven months of the year. A couple of months ago the heel started coming away from the boot so I glued it and it has lasted OK. But, to be on the safe side as they had started to let a bit of damp in at the toes I ordered an other pair. They are just as good and really comfortable.

Hi-TecTrailstone WP were less than £40. The prices direct from Hi-Tec can be bettered using Amazon or ebay.

what kind of glue did you use on the soles?

25 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Trailstone-Charcoal-Cool-Grey/dp/B072Q1ZBDB/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=Hi-Tec+Trailstone+walking+boots&psc=1&qid=1571079743&sr=8-1-fkmr0

these type hereNP?

1 hour ago, jackthelad said:

what kind of glue did you use on the soles?

It is Pattex contact adhesive. It is a rubber type glue. You are supposed to smear both surfaces, allow to go tacky and then press them together. This is hard when the gap between the sole and boot is so narrow so I just pumped it in and then put a bottle of water inside the boot to weight it down and keep the contact between the two pieces. Once it had gone off I smeared some more glue into the gaps. I've used it on wading boots and it lasts.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

It is Pattex contact adhesive. It is a rubber type glue. You are supposed to smear both surfaces, allow to go tacky and then press them together. This is hard when the gap between the sole and boot is so narrow so I just pumped it in and then put a bottle of water inside the boot to weight it down and keep the contact between the two pieces. Once it had gone off I smeared some more glue into the gaps. I've used it on wading boots and it lasts.

What type of water was in the bottle?

8 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

What type of water was in the bottle?

It was the wet type sold by our local departement d'eau.  If you want some I'll send it. It will just cost you postage.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Haha 4

I think your right that leather is not the future for boots and there must be a better alternative coming into the market. I've never gotten anymore than 6 to 12 months hardwearing out of any pair of boots if wearing them daily. That includes the overly priced Mendel, harkilla, hiax etc with the €300 price tag.They fail just as quick as my €35 Dunlop work boots which are quite comfortable but I don't mind chucking away the cheap boots and replacing them because they don't cost a small fortune. Different people depending on foot shape wear out boots in different ways. I've collapsed archs so the insteps always crack and split letting in water and then eventually falling apart. I've also went the ex army cheaper route and found that you'd order 4 pairs before I would get a pair that isn't allready leaking. Every time a boot topic comes up somebody says I find such and such a boot great and I like them so much this is my 3rd pair and I'm ordering a 4th. Well if they were any good he would still be wearing the first ones ?. The last example was when I met a man on a mountain one morning and he was showing me his shiny mendls saying how great they were and he was mountain scrambling 7 years with them and they were still perfect. I asked how often did he hit the mountains and he said he does one peak every summer. His face was priceless when I said to him so you've got 7 days wearing on your boots today ??? No wonder their still good.

wont go wrong with these jigsaw.feel great the first time they are worn.offer him £35..and get a tub of renapur..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altberg-Defender-Combat-Boot-Brown-Leather-Size-10-M/392480222292?hash=item5b61a4ec54:g:YyUAAOSwrcRdpJof

outdoor air dry them though.ive got an outdoor shelter by the back door it's like a wind tunnel.i hang them up on a hook when they are wet.the slow drying seem's to help with cracking..

i say that because some lads put them infront of the fire etc..

About 1 pair a season I go through.

20191015_082651.jpg.3ed5915ead21a8d201c48ed7bbf4a6f3.jpg

• Like 2

Have had most makes of soft walking boots berghause, merril, high tech, north face etc and the best ones by far were called scarpa I think, got them from go outdoors, I tend to kill a pair most winters but they lasted me nearly 3 years, as a quick aside, how the f**k can anyone make a pair of walking boots last 10 years especially hi techs unless you walk on your hands ??? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Greyman said:

Have had most makes of soft walking boots berghause, merril, high tech, north face etc and the best ones by far were called scarpa I think, got them from go outdoors, I tend to kill a pair most winters but they lasted me nearly 3 years, as a quick aside, how the f**k can anyone make a pair of walking boots last 10 years especially hi techs unless you walk on your hands ??? 

best pair of boots iv ever had scarpa couldnt kill them wore them to work and out with dogs and fishing there still there still dont leak but there not as comfy now had them about 5 year