Justify this

I do a bit of terrier work and ferreting on game shoots and it’s never scares the birds off. What scares the birds off is the shoot the previous weekend, but some gamekeepers don’t get that. A shoot near me shoots the same woods and cover every 2 weeks, yet the gamekeeper didn’t like me ferreting the dykes as it scares the birds lol. Nothing to do with his shoots then 

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some keepers i know do a hare shoot and hundreds are shot,just like they allways have been on big shooting estates and the hare numbers keep coming back up as they will on a well run shooting estate w

How can you justify or condemn anything without knowing the facts? General comments... Well keepered land will give booming game populations and the single most important factor in hare populatio

I know a few shoots that do that and it's because the coursing boys drive fields and threaten the land owners if caught,stop driving the land and stop being div w*nkers and they won't have to do it.As

Posted Images

4 hours ago, moonlighter said:

I do a bit of terrier work and ferreting on game shoots and it’s never scares the birds off. What scares the birds off is the shoot the previous weekend, but some gamekeepers don’t get that. A shoot near me shoots the same woods and cover every 2 weeks, yet the gamekeeper didn’t like me ferreting the dykes as it scares the birds lol. Nothing to do with his shoots then 

So do i and some drives he don't want us near because there shooting the next day but they have one drive they have shot twice in one day before so disturbance of a drive sometimes makes a difference and sometimes it don't ,but when it's a mans living on the line that has been disrupted in the past then you do what the keepers say if you want to keep your permission(well i do anyway).A fickle bunch are keepers but if you have an idea of how birds are then you will sort of understand what's allowed and whats not at certain times.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

What I sometimes find is the gamekeeper wants nothing to do with me, but the land owner, who offen dosnt shoot wants me to sort out the rabbits and hares. One owns the land, the other rents the area for cover crops. 

I got that a lot when seeking permission hawking. The landowner would grant permission only to ring me up a few days later to explain the keeper had overruled his decision. Same old excuse about disturbance, though many falconers put down their own birds without such problems apparently?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Accip74 said:

I got that a lot when seeking permission hawking. The landowner would grant permission only to ring me up a few days later to explain the keeper had overruled his decision. Same old excuse about disturbance, though many falconers put down their own birds without such problems apparently?

You cant really tell a hawk it's just rabbits today 

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

You cant really tell a hawk it's just rabbits today 

You can control what you’re slipping at though...

My point is the disturbance I’m likely to cause is negligible compared to a shooting party, it’s mostly an excuse.

2 hours ago, Accip74 said:

My point is the disturbance I’m likely to cause is negligible compared to a shooting party, it’s mostly an excuse.

A shooting party pays to be there and good money to,so i recon most shoots if you matched a shoot days money your'd get your freedom...:victory:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, fireman said:

A shooting party pays to be there and good money to,so i recon most shoots if you matched a shoot days money your'd get your freedom...:victory:

offer to do some dogging in that always scores browny points with keepers and also gives ya dogs some work ?

1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

offer to do some dogging in that always scores browny points with keepers and also gives ya dogs some work ?

Me giving away a few greenfinches to a fella who knew a gamekeeper got me 12,000 acres to play with my terriers on:victory:,but if i tried to do some dogging in with my lot i'd fecking loose it :laugh:..

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, fireman said:

Me giving away a few greenfinches to a fella who knew a gamekeeper got me 12,000 acres to play with my terriers on:victory:,but if i tried to do some dogging in with my lot i'd fecking loose it :laugh:..

what greenfinches do you keep mate I used to breed them 30 odd years ago.

4 hours ago, Accip74 said:

correct but its their excuse to make, I don't even like my farmers doing stuff and its their shoots I look after, lol

8 hours ago, fireman said:

you wasn't doing him any favours giving him greenfinchs  the greedy bleeders just sit on the seed tray all day eating a hole in your seed bill ?lol that's unless they were rare cinnimons ?

26 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

you wasn't doing him any favours giving him greenfinchs  the greedy bleeders just sit on the seed tray all day eating a hole in your seed bill ?lol that's unless they were rare cinnimons ?

Cinny's and silvers mate :thumbs:...

Two crows i don't keep birds at the moment,to busy with work and what time i have spare is taken up with terriers at this time of my life but they will be back...:victory:

• Like 1

My dad always had a moto when I 1st started only kill what you can carry and carry what yah can kill and if you ain't gonna eat it or put it too good use don't kill it abit different when it came to foxes though ?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, fireman said:

I’d of gladly paid per bird mate ?