First of the season

First squirrel of the season for me. First shot missed, but he was inquisitive and hung upside down on the tree being nosey. 2nd shot hit the head and dropped him. 12mm steel but still needed a priest to finish. This 8mm craze is nonsense its not enough bang in my opinion and too many runners. Anyway here it is. Prepped ready for the pot. 

DSC_1646.JPG

DSC_1648.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, darrren said:

First squirrel of the season for me. First shot missed, but he was inquisitive and hung upside down on the tree being nosey. 2nd shot hit the head and dropped him. 12mm steel but still needed a priest to finish. This 8mm craze is nonsense its not enough bang in my opinion and too many runners. Anyway here it is. Prepped ready for the pot. 

DSC_1646.JPG

DSC_1648.JPG

Do you know mate I've never tasted Squirrel, so well done for not wasting it.

Cheers Arry

Nice one mate had a stalk on one myself yesterday but still a lot of leafs making it hard to get good shot, plus I was in the local park ??agree with you regarding the 8mm, it’s getting a bit like the 177 v 22 air gun debate,  the YouTube names who seem to be driving it have the advantage of editing out the runners so it looks a lot more successful, would only go down that small if I was using lead but I,m going the other way and thinking about getting back on the nuts as they do so much more damage only takes a couple of hits to cut cans in half with them were as steel balls take 6/10 shots for the same amount of damage ✌️✌️

1 hour ago, Arry said:

Do you know mate I've never tasted Squirrel, so well done for not wasting it.

Cheers Arry

Bit of a b*****d to skin but tastes a little bit like a lamb/pork  combo, there is a butcher near me that sells them, I think the restaurants have another name for them, a bit like rock salmon for doggies, ???

• Thanks 1

They are pretty tough to skin compared to a rabbit but I take the tail off and cut along the bum and peel from there. Thank god its not just me getting a bit daft it's like they've taken somthing simple and turning it Into something is shouldn't be all in the name of money I expect. 

I always cook my Squirrel the American way, cleaned, skinned and fried, simple as that, way better than fried chicken.

Whenever we have a get together - pigeon, rabbit, squirrel etc, etc all gets eaten big style.

Here's the squirrel cooking.

Delicious lads and simple as .

IMG_0432.JPG.f470e79381f9ceb5a48757f6a68bcde7.JPG

• Like 2

Good shooting mate they are tough buggers ill give them that. Most of my game is either fried or slow cooked as a stewand I find squirrel tastes great both ways. Other half won't try it kind but then again I'll eat anything haha. 

• Like 2