Longnet making

I'm assuming your ferreting with the net. Personally I would buy sheet netting off Nelson in 4z rather than knitting something with more weight for the day when you got to carry more gear..

Maybe 6z if it's going  through hedges and might snag.

You can make a case for any size mesh. Its down to what you want/prefer

Have a look at Advanced Netting Supplies they do 4z 6z and 8z and the nets seem really good value. Some commercial long net suppliers use their nets.

I have a brinded nets in 4z and 6z both have provided excellent service and I have not seen any difference in catch rate with either.  Not sure on mesh size.

The 4z has worn much quicker and needed repairing much more.

Burnt heather on the moor we ferret is an absolute nightmare when picking up the net.

I have two fifty yard long nets that I made with advanced sheet netting ( many, many years ago) and they have caught a lot of rabbits in their time. I also have 3 fifty yarders made from Nels0ns sheet netting which are like silk, I think it may be time to retire the Advanced and move forward with the better gear.

• Like 3
On 15/10/2019 at 22:26, budgie123 said:

Have a look at Advanced Netting Supplies they do 4z 6z and 8z and the nets seem really good value. Some commercial long net suppliers use their nets.

I have a brinded nets in 4z and 6z both have provided excellent service and I have not seen any difference in catch rate with either.  Not sure on mesh size.

The 4z has worn much quicker and needed repairing much more.

Burnt heather on the moor we ferret is an absolute nightmare when picking up the net.

Im a commercial fishermen, so have a fair amount of experience rigging nets. I brought a sheet of netting from advanced, and its ok, but its not as good as Nelsons lint. I dont know where he gets such a soft lint from, but advanced lints have a lot of binding agent on them. I gather Nelson buys 100 lints at a time, so he can get them made to his exact requirements. The advanced netting lint has started to soften now after a couple of years, but I would still buy all my longnets from Nelson. Hes an ex fishermen and knows how to rig gear properly, I have seen some hash ups by so called longnet riggers.