Longnet making

On 17/10/2019 at 20:30, beany01 said:

Im a commercial fishermen, so have a fair amount of experience rigging nets. I brought a sheet of netting from advanced, and its ok, but its not as good as Nelsons lint. I dont know where he gets such a soft lint from, but advanced lints have a lot of binding agent on them. I gather Nelson buys 100 lints at a time, so he can get them made to his exact requirements. The advanced netting lint has started to soften now after a couple of years, but I would still buy all my longnets from Nelson. Hes an ex fishermen and knows how to rig gear properly, I have seen some hash ups by so called longnet riggers.

Hi beany01 sorry to seem thick but what do you mean by lint its a term I haven't heard before and why the softer lint is a benefit. Also binding agent what is this and why is it used on nets.

7 hours ago, budgie123 said:

Hi beany01 sorry to seem thick but what do you mean by lint its a term I haven't heard before and why the softer lint is a benefit. Also binding agent what is this and why is it used on nets.

Lint is the proper term for the mesh. A softer lint is more flexible and will enmesh the rabbits better. A binding agent is a chemical used to bind the fibres in the twine together

• Like 1
23 hours ago, smithie said:

It's a long time ago now but I once had some nets that shrunk. I'm thinking it was a 4 inch mesh that shrank to 3inch 7\8.  

A lot of nets do shrink slightly, especially when they get wet and dry out. My father has some old sprat nets that were boiled to shrink the mesh size, when the sprats one year were small

Edited by beany01