Long dogs vs lurchers

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

What are other open field coursers running in your area or a similar area, they've no doubt tried various purebreds and crossbreds, and settled on the most suited. Or which of your hounds is most suited. Saluki is going to feature somewhere...

Yes all different tipes of cross breed . Saluki over track is most popular but if bin in UK and Ireland and would not underestimate a lurcher 

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I assume your in south Africa with your name being  rsa???

watched a youtube thing years ago....some arabs with loads of money getting on the ferry across to etheopia or somewhere loads of 4x4's and a big tanker lorry with fuel in....they had a hole team of s

WTF would we know living in England. We would just be guessing. We don’t have the same dogs, game, weather or terrain?? 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, poxon said:

tbh I don’t think none of us English guys could really help as we’ve not got springbuck over here most Lurchers over here are not really a match for a hare most are just general purpose type rabbit dogs lamping/ferreting there are fox dogs over here but most of them are not really speedsters as such there more the heavy set type for the job ideal to be chucked out the back of a motor there are a few racey bred deer dogs about there not a set type same with our all round type dogs there not a set type there just dogs that are masters of none then there’s the hare catchers that tend to be Salukis or saluki longdogs 

if I was to take a punt on a English dog for the job I’d say something on the lines of saluki greyhound bull greyhound x saluki greyhound 

Thanks . For the advice 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rsa.ie said:

Yes all different tipes of cross breed . Saluki over track is most popular but if bin in UK and Ireland and would not underestimate a lurcher 

Sounds like you have the start of your own lurchers. Can't see them being much different to UK and Ireland dogs. And none of them are "perfect" ?

There used to be a guy who posted on here from SA, he ran some serious looking dogs and the kind of game you are talking about and some heavier quarry. It would be worth searching the topics to see what comes up. 

In the meantime put some pictures up of the dogs and quarry you are running now?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gamerooster said:

I imagine the closest style I've seen is what the aussie lads do and they swear by deerhound greyhounds, I'm sure some lads run them on coyotes in the states to

Staghounds they call them

Dan Edwards used to post about his coyote dogs on here

Must be too busy at the domino club, and yoga classes to grace the riff raff with his presence nowadays ?

• Haha 1
On 10/10/2019 at 10:57, rsa.ie said:

Wee course all over hard ground ,soft sand ,scrubs exs . I cours from hare to biger small African game up to springbucks . They fast animals with very good stamina . 

Deerhound x sal xbull grey ,

had a mate who run a wolfhound x grey in Africa and he was handy tool ,

On 10/10/2019 at 14:22, poxon said:

tbh I don’t think none of us English guys could really help as we’ve not got springbuck over here most Lurchers over here are not really a match for a hare most are just general purpose type rabbit dogs lamping/ferreting there are fox dogs over here but most of them are not really speedsters as such there more the heavy set type for the job ideal to be chucked out the back of a motor there are a few racey bred deer dogs about there not a set type same with our all round type dogs there not a set type there just dogs that are masters of none then there’s the hare catchers that tend to be Salukis or saluki longdogs 

if I was to take a punt on a English dog for the job I’d say something on the lines of saluki greyhound bull greyhound x saluki greyhound 

Bit deerhound in the mix