Meateater

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Tell ye what got me about this series was the muzzle loaders,  I not had any interest in guns if any sort for a long long time, so when they ditched the bows for the muzzle loaders I was expecting some ole fashioned rifles ? who’d have guessed they still make brand new uns???

guns really don’t float my boat but I’d like to have w play about with one them ?

Its because there is a muzzle loader season before the rifle season so gun companies have worked on updating the technology. There’s controversy over it because they’re so good these days they’re basically a rifle defeating the point in an early season for them.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Have you ever tried any them? Newer or older versions? I like I idea of havin yo get close enough with one ?

Nah mate, I just read a lot of hunting stuff. That can be taken a number of ways... :laugh: 

Personally I'd just go straight to the bow. Very enjoyable flicking arrows in silence! I've had a bit of interest recently in going to iron sights too.

Got to agree, it's a cracking series. There's a lot he has to offer and a lot of folk could take a leaf out of his book, his whole outlook and compasion for his sport is highly regardable in my eyes.

• Like 2
On 22/10/2019 at 13:54, W. Katchum said:

Have you ever tried any them? Newer or older versions? I like I idea of havin yo get close enough with one ?

I hunted with a musket in Tanzania, we stalked kudu but never got close enough for a shot. Firing the thing was terrifying, you pulled the trigger and the hammer snapped forward then it fizzled for a few seconds while you try to hold your nerve and the gun steady, then it either stopped fizzing or went off like a cannon. It  didn't make for accurate shooting. The masaii whose gun it was did show me the remains of a hyena he killed with it the week before I arrived though. I took some pics and looked up what it was when I came home. It was an American civil war issue musket, they were sold as surplus after the war and alot ended up in Africa. Rather ironically they were probably traded for slaves by the Arabs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1