A few hours out last night.

The moon was a bit big for my liking but after the rain we've had lately, the chance of a dry evening was too good to pass up.

We arrived at 8.30 and there was nothing doing for the first hour. We saw a few foxes but they were very flighty. We planted our Roger Rabbit caller and moved about 100 yards downwind of it. The thermal showed a fox taking a bit of an interest, but he was about 150 yards the other side of the caller. He got a bit closer but he was very wary. I took aim when he was about 200 yards out and put him down and out with a clean chest shot. He doesn't look big in the photo but he was a big'un.

20191008_213040.jpg.3f9f4e93dbe25e592f809fc28b56c241.jpg

On our travels we saw a few other foxes but deep in the undergrowth. Strangely for this time of year, a lot of them were in groups of 2 or 3. 2 1/2 hours into our evening and with only one fox in the bag, I resigned myself we weren't going to get as lucky as we did last time. 

Suddenly I spotted a group of 3 foxes in a small copse. There was no safe shot from where we were, so we got into a position alongside them so we weren't shooting towards the path. 2 of them ran off, but one ducked down behind a mound and was watching us. Jack had the gun now. I lit it up and it ducked down even further so even its eyes were behind the mound. Stupidly it left the top if its head and ears on show and that was enough for Jack to do the business. Another big dog. 

Happy we had one each, we were going to call it a night, but the trip back to the car provided Jack with 2 more. Again, both dogs. It turned out a lot better than we expected. One in the first 2 1/2 hours, then another 3 in the next 2 hours. 

And we stayed dry!