Ferret stuck 16ft down

She could be hung up or stuck on something get your fukcing spade out or find a different sport ... when you put an animal in the ground it’s your responsibility to get it out of its in trouble .....

• Like 5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad she's back. IMO you didn't give up you kept going back and the reward was getting her back. I Know a lot of guys don't agree, but a 16' dig is a dangerous dig if you have no groundwork exper

Best news ever! Girl at stables checked where I left her box and she was sat at the side of it waiting! No collar but just so happy to get her back. Best feeling in the world!        

Janine, you shouldn't wish such shit on folks.... You asked for advice and was given it....maybe  Not what you wanted to hear... lots of folks on here are very passionate about the stock they keep...

Posted Images

Just keep going back mate, all around the area. If she kill and she has lost her collar she will probably stay in that burrow. My lad got a lost one back two weeks after a friend lost his ferret, it was still in the same burrow. My lad ran our ferrets through the burrow and came back and said no luck, just said our ferrets just kept chittering. I told him to get back there as that ferret is still in there that's why they are chittering. Came back with his friends ferret.

Good luck and don't give up.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Can you not get a machine in? Perhaps use social media to drum up interest? Might cost you a few quid to get a digger in but I would want a result, one way or another. 

If the fert is trapped behind a rabbit it may be able to eat its way through it but I would be organising a machine and I'd be doing it NOW. Good luck.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

I hate to be a pessimist but after two days at 16ft if the ferret is still there she is probably dead, not definitely but probably. If she is stuck behind a rabbit at that depth the chances are she has suffocated air is poor anyway at that level and 2 days stuck is a long time. I dug one out at about 6ft after about a 3/4 hour dig and she was barely alive, 10 minutes in fresh air and she was fine but another 15 minutes and I reckon she was gone. I am not naturally negative but this is how I see it, I really hope you get her back though. 

7 hours ago, king said:

fecking terrible that ryaldinhio.the poor lad..

Quite a big family where I came from, knew a few of his brothers, cousins and nephews etc. I heard the story from the wake by being in the same boozer on the afternoon. Never knew the fella but made me think. Experienced hunting guy by all accounts, bobbed out for an hour on his own as we do. Next thing scratching at the dirt to get his head out a shallow dig and gone. Bit scary really.

5 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Quite a big family where I came from, knew a few of his brothers, cousins and nephews etc. I heard the story from the wake by being in the same boozer on the afternoon. Never knew the fella but made me think. Experienced hunting guy by all accounts, bobbed out for an hour on his own as we do. Next thing scratching at the dirt to get his head out a shallow dig and gone. Bit scary really.

I've never heard of it happening to someone ferreting.

But heard the terrier lads mention it a few times.

I went ratting with some lads years ago and one of the lads ( a right big lad covered in tattoos) had what I thought was a birth mark on his forehead,  turns out he was ferreting alone and some how fell in the hole he dug could not reach his phone or out as his arms was stuck at the side of him , he thort he was going to die , lucky when it got dark and he was not home his wife went looking and found him 

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

I went ratting with some lads years ago and one of the lads ( a right big lad covered in tattoos) had what I thought was a birth mark on his forehead,  turns out he was ferreting alone and some how fell in the hole he dug could not reach his phone or out as his arms was stuck at the side of him , he thort he was going to die , lucky when it got dark and he was not home his wife went looking and found him 

Lucky guy, I bet that still haunts him now

Did you dig the poor pug out ,

"I'm not digging to a collar and dead ferret  Lmao  

you got no right working pugs if you not willing on digging to them when it gets tuff ,

did you put a hob in to see if he could push her out or even a Jill .

you got perm and you left ,I wouldn't leave any one of my team without doing my very best to dig to them , 

it don't matter if it's alive ,dead you need to dig to the mark to no for sure ,

if you don't do that you really shouldn't work them ?

im not having a "dig" but that's exactly what you should have been doing and not Chating about it on here ,

we all dig it's part of it !! We o it to our team !!!

• Like 4
On 09/10/2019 at 21:12, Bobtheferret said:

I hate to be a pessimist but after two days at 16ft if the ferret is still there she is probably dead, not definitely but probably. If she is stuck behind a rabbit at that depth the chances are she has suffocated air is poor anyway at that level and 2 days stuck is a long time. I dug one out at about 6ft after about a 3/4 hour dig and she was barely alive, 10 minutes in fresh air and she was fine but another 15 minutes and I reckon she was gone. I am not naturally negative but this is how I see it, I really hope you get her back though. 

But you dug her out ?

He sounds like he didn't try ,digging is tuff sometimes but dig we do .

• Like 1
On 09/10/2019 at 18:19, socks said:

She could be hung up or stuck on something get your fukcing spade out or find a different sport ... when you put an animal in the ground it’s your responsibility to get it out of its in trouble .....

Well said ,

shouldnt own a working ferret if your not willing on digging when it get tuff !!!

No sight of her and for you lot that are saying I should give up the game! you don't know me!  I didn't just think sod it, it's just a ferret and walk a way, I dug down to five foot in desperation, and it wasn't at all easy to dig! and thought what the chuff am I doing! I'd never dig to 16ft. Sat there for hours wondering what to do, hoping she may appear.

The warrens are located under trees and then raises up a steep bank, the locator was picking up the 16ft on the bank. I did look into hiring a mini digger but then I would have needed somebody to operate the digger and the owners of the horses would not have appreciated me digging that size of that hole in their horse paddock!  the idea of me ferreting was to stop holes.

I'll have to live with the fact my ferret may have been stuck down that hole 16ft down and I couldn't get her but I know I don't put the collars on tight enough, so I think it's the collar down there and she is somewhere,  but you lot who say I needed to have dug need to get a tape measure out and see how far 16ft is!

• Confused 1