New one on me

Couple hours decoying pigeon today (preventing crop damage before they get chance). Not interested in the enforcers but managed a few just on flight lines. One of them, a very fast on coming shot, high up probably 35yds+. Hit upper branches after I shot it. Picked up, its head was clean off & top part of breast like it been skinned! No damage to meat & far enough away that I doubt think the 32g #6 did it. Could it have ripped off as it came down through branches I reckon? I found the head about 5' from the body. 

Shot could take a head off if still in a ball but unlikely at range and I've never heard of shot ripping skin off with it as the shot ball will sever the skin on impact. As sausage says, it most likely hit a sharp rigid, probably thin, branch at considerable speed during it's initial impact and that decapitated it. You mentioned yourself it was travelling at speed and with a head on shot the branch collision could easily have been sufficient. Woodpigeon have been recorded flying at speeds of over 90mph although more commonly it's much less than that.

My guess would be it impacted a branch backwards, severing the head from the back forwards, the severed head got caught on a thorn or split part of the branch which caused the skin to rip away from the front as the body continued, and then when the skin broke the release of tension catapulted the head off the thorn / split branch to be found some distance away as described.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, walshie said:

How do you know its head was attached before you shot it? :whistling:

First we had yarns of " ghost fox's" and now we have hallow the headless pigeon!

Gordon Bennett! It'll be whare hares and panthers next.

,?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

First we had yarns of " ghost fox's" and now we have hallow the headless pigeon!

Gordon Bennett! It'll be whare hares and panthers next.

,?

No panthers here mate. Nothing to see. No siree. :ninja:

14 hours ago, walshie said:

How do you know its head was attached before you shot it? :whistling:

Maybe he bought it from the Butchers and pulled it off (the head,  oops I mean the birds head), so he'd have a bit of a tale. Bit like those fisherman who catch 3 foot salmon in a Tesco bag.