Which scope mounted lamp.

I’m after a lamp to go on my scope for a .223,I go on my own and holding a lamp while trying to shoot isn’t really working.

It to fit on a 30mm Leopold scope on a .223,needs to be clear and bright out to 200yds. Thanks in advance?

8 hours ago, MR TEA POT said:

I’m after a lamp to go on my scope for a .223,I go on my own and holding a lamp while trying to shoot isn’t really working.

It to fit on a 30mm Leopold scope on a .223,needs to be clear and bright out to 200yds. Thanks in advance?

https://opticfire.co.uk/collections/extreme-range-hunting-torches-500-yrds

Buy 2 one for mounted on scopes,one attached to lanyard around neck.

use the one on lanyard for spotting,so you don't have to mount/raise rifle all the time,then just switch over for the shot.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, patterdale said:

https://opticfire.co.uk/collections/extreme-range-hunting-torches-500-yrds

Buy 2 one for mounted on scopes,one attached to lanyard around neck.

use the one on lanyard for spotting,so you don't have to mount/raise rifle all the time,then just switch over for the shot.

Thanks pal I’ll have a look ?

Buying two seems a good idea cheers ?

On 07/10/2019 at 17:33, MR TEA POT said:

Thanks pal I’ll have a look ?

Buying two seems a good idea cheers ?

That system works well for me when solo lamping,like I said it saves you lifting the rifle all night just to spot.

keep us updated.

On 06/10/2019 at 11:44, MR TEA POT said:

There are a lot of things that don't work in this. Been there and done it.  What does The figure of 200 yards refer to?  A scanning distance ? If it is A shot at 200yds, it is a long way at night.  It's ok if you are using a vehicle /quad to tote it but With the weight of the rifle and scope With a lamp mounted on top it is a load of weight to carry, search and hold on target.  As the lamp is on the gun you have to point the rifle to scan and spot which aint a good thing. I rigged a light on my rifle and went out once and took it back off.  I hated it.  I mostly walk so I  have a battery pack on my back. The rifle on the shoulder and hand carry a smallish lamp in one hand and a pair of standing sticks in the other hand.  I have a quick scan, then black,  walk 50 then another quick scan. I can pick Charlies eyes several hundred yards away. Light straight off.  I then have a look round to understand the wind and my background. Big lights held on the target generally make that target move away.  I stalk the target having the odd quick lamp to check charlies position and walk to use the wind, land contour to close the distance. Usually down to about 80 paces. This is far enough away that the target isn't spooked, is close enough to identify that it is Charlie and not someone's stray lab or spaniel. I've known about several blokes who have shot pet cats ect  and lost the shooting because of it. ( even though they are vermin ) not the dogs. ???  I  hope that the above may be of some use and may save a bit of money. Try it out.

3 hours ago, Meece said:

There are a lot of things that don't work in this. Been there and done it.  What does The figure of 200 yards refer to?  A scanning distance ? If it is A shot at 200yds, it is a long way at night.  It's ok if you are using a vehicle /quad to tote it but With the weight of the rifle and scope With a lamp mounted on top it is a load of weight to carry, search and hold on target.  As the lamp is on the gun you have to point the rifle to scan and spot which aint a good thing. I rigged a light on my rifle and went out once and took it back off.  I hated it.  I mostly walk so I  have a battery pack on my back. The rifle on the shoulder and hand carry a smallish lamp in one hand and a pair of standing sticks in the other hand.  I have a quick scan, then black,  walk 50 then another quick scan. I can pick Charlies eyes several hundred yards away. Light straight off.  I then have a look round to understand the wind and my background. Big lights held on the target generally make that target move away.  I stalk the target having the odd quick lamp to check charlies position and walk to use the wind, land contour to close the distance. Usually down to about 80 paces. This is far enough away that the target isn't spooked, is close enough to identify that it is Charlie and not someone's stray lab or spaniel. I've known about several blokes who have shot pet cats ect  and lost the shooting because of it. ( even though they are vermin ) not the dogs. ???  I  hope that the above may be of some use and may save a bit of money. Try it out.

I use a system similar to you Meece.  But I have a red torch on the scope, I'm 99% sure it's a T50, Hand held lamp that fits in my pocket, (sees clearly out to several hundred yards) and sticks in my other hand.  Use the hand held to spot then get into the right position and use the red torch to shoot with.  Earlier this evening spotted a vixen with the handheld, and shot it with the red torch (200ish paces).  That was really the limit with the torch, could only just make out the body of the vixen.  But this works for me, might not work for you

• 2 months later...

200yds maybe a big ask but I was going to suggest looking at some of the 'super' head lamps used for sea fishing, I have a led lenser which does 140mts with no problem ( I know that because the field over my cottage garden wall is 140mt to the trees on the other side, ranged it to check) and my unit is about 7 years old, just fitted new 5 year cells so I am sure there are more powerful ones than mine 7 years on.   Now a days these head lamps are very very light in weight which makes them comfortable to wear for hours and the beam will be where you are looking. The led lenser range are not cheap but my pal just bought a head lamp which is really powerful and only paid about £12 off ebay.

I only use mine to find lost quarry and not to spot / shoot quarry so I am sorry if this is not suitable for what you want but thought it worth chucking in the pot.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Deben Mini and Max, both with battery packs and they are fine, the extra weight is primarily in the battery pack which is separate.  I think you can still find a few of the lamping kits about and some are (were) just about good enough for 200 yard shooting.     

Many (including me) tend to use the torches or NV more these days, again, the torches can make 200 yards but be careful to get a bright one, most also have variable light levels, where my lamping kits all had full  dimmer switch control.

The NV these days is really pretty good, and there are many variants which make 200 yard shooting perfectly feasible, but many also come with a price tag.

I shoot in a lot of different environments and I'm pleased I still have the choice of Lamping Kits, Torches, NV.

As for scanning around, simply take a decent torch with you, no need to raise the rifle to scan the area!

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2020 at 08:35, nick703 said:

Must be worth a look, these are new to me, but be careful of Marketing Language

Spot animals out to 500yards with clear useable beam identification out to 400yards.

Just the same, those figures MAY mean you can shoot out to 200! 

:thumbs: