My new puppy (something you do not see here too often)

Hi everybody,

I am a long time lurker of this forum and found a lot of good information here.

This is my first lurcher pup and I (obviously) think she is coming along nicely. She is a Whippet x German Pinscher (the mating was more of an accident, but I know both parents and they are wonderful).
I am from Germany so please beware that I am not allowed to work her here legally...

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and have a good day!

puppy.jpg

• Like 9

But you are at least on mainland Europe and you have access to other countries where hunting with dogs is permitted without having to cross the Channel! Good luck with your pup. She looks bright and alert.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MagyarAgar said:

Hi everybody,

I am a long time lurker of this forum and found a lot of good information here.

This is my first lurcher pup and I (obviously) think she is coming along nicely. She is a Whippet x German Pinscher (the mating was more of an accident, but I know both parents and they are wonderful).
I am from Germany so please beware that I am not allowed to work her here legally...

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and have a good day!

puppy.jpg

Nice looking lurcher ,I'm sure yous will have lots of fun together .

can you not hunt with lurchers in Germany ,I was Chating  with a teckle breeder few weeks ago and he hunts regular with his pack above and below ,maybe it's just running dogs not allowed to hunt ,

enjoy your pup 

Edited by Moocher71
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

thaats a very striking looking dog ,best of luck with the new pup,she may put food on the table yet 

Thanks jigsaw. I am keenly following the progress of your puppys! I am really considering a kelpie x in the future.

2 hours ago, skycat said:

But you are at least on mainland Europe and you have access to other countries where hunting with dogs is permitted without having to cross the Channel! Good luck with your pup. She looks bright and alert.

Thanks, thats true.

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Nice looking lurcher ,I'm sure yous will have lots of fun together .

can you not hunt with lurchers in Germany ,I was Chating  with a teckle breeder few weeks ago and he hunts regular with his pack above and below ,maybe it's just running dogs not allowed to hunt ,

enjoy your pup 

There is really a lot of regulation you have to go through to be able to hunt in Germany. And it is mainly geared towards shooting. Using running dogs to hunt is actively discouraged and looked upon as "dirty" hunting.
Beware that this is only my personal opinion...

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That is a smart  well put together looking dog ! It also looks like its keen to going?

Yeah she really is keen on running and chasing, but she also quite bright and learns new things pretty fast.
My only personal experience with dogs is with a purebred Whippet and a purebred German Pinscher and so far she is definitely faster and more agile than a pure breed Pinscher. (Thats probably what you would expect from such a cross...)

Not heard that expression before: dirty hunting. Curious as to why people would label lurcher work in this way. Hunting with dogs is one of the oldest methods of hunting. Is it because shooters etc look down their noses at those who hunt with lurchers, or does it merely refer to illegal hunting, poaching?

17 minutes ago, skycat said:

Not heard that expression before: dirty hunting. Curious as to why people would label lurcher work in this way. Hunting with dogs is one of the oldest methods of hunting. Is it because shooters etc look down their noses at those who hunt with lurchers, or does it merely refer to illegal hunting, poaching?

might just be translation,

55 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv heard lurcher folk bein refereed to as dirt over here? Usually on keepered estates ?

Some things never change: the lurcher was known as a nasty, skulking thieving brute back in the 1700s, and the 'them and us' syndrome between landowner and those without land has been around ever since royalty and so-called nobility claimed all the land for themselves. Funny how landowners who own lurchers deem themselves above the law when it comes to illegal game, but those who don't own the land they hunt are just poachers.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, skycat said:

Some things never change: the lurcher was known as a nasty, skulking thieving brute back in the 1700s, and the 'them and us' syndrome between landowner and those without land has been around ever since royalty and so-called nobility claimed all the land for themselves. Funny how landowners who own lurchers deem themselves above the law when it comes to illegal game, but those who don't own the land they hunt are just poachers.

Very very true i know a lad has running dogs only dose a bit with them but wouldn't dream of a conversation with a dog man/woman as he thinks were all poachers who don't give to shites but will go and do it himself. Personally I think lurcher work is the best shooting these days with all there Tec is just pointless they have no need to stalk and learn when they can just spend £££ and that dose the work for them 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, skycat said:

As already said by @two crows it is probably a bad translation from my site.

As far is I understand it german hunting law is all about "minimizing" animal cruelty and hunting with lurchers/sighthounds is seen as being really stressful for the quarry (Bow hunting is forbidden because of the same reasoning).
That is how I understand the somewhat official reasoning, but take this with a grain of salt as I am no active hunter myself (I do not like shooting) and have my knowledge from active hunters and the internet...

In contrast, as fas is I know, falconry and digging is mostly allowed? ?

So hunting dogs are mainly used for retrieving, pointing, flushing, digging, and tracking/trailing a shot but not killed animal.

The main reasons I think hunting with lurchers and sighthounds is not allowed is because there is no strong lobby for it.

9 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

As already said by @two crows it is probably a bad translation from my site.

As far is I understand it german hunting law is all about "minimizing" animal cruelty and hunting with lurchers/sighthounds is seen as being really stressful for the quarry (Bow hunting is forbidden because of the same reasoning).
That is how I understand the somewhat official reasoning, but take this with a grain of salt as I am no active hunter myself (I do not like shooting) and have my knowledge from active hunters and the internet...

In contrast, as fas is I know, falconry and digging is mostly allowed? ?

So hunting dogs are mainly used for retrieving, pointing, flushing, digging, and tracking/trailing a shot but not killed animal.

The main reasons I think hunting with lurchers and sighthounds is not allowed is because there is no strong lobby for it.

Best just go out and do abit if u get pulled up you got mo idea what the on about and just went for a walk

• Like 2