Shooting estates

9 hours ago, Westy76 said:

He’s fully gundog trained,he used to be broke to deer and could stop him on anything but lamping a lot etc kinda changed that.

the pic was taken after the picking up team had worked the island but he stuck his nose up and went into the water,the guy with the spaniels said it was clear but frank doesn’t mismark and came back with a hen bird to the guys disgust.

not all lurchers can be trained this way as I found with my new pup but the ones that can are worth there weight and certainly change some misconceptions 

my old bitch here I sadly lost last march found and flushed no end of birds the spaniels and labs had walked over,she was as steady as a rock and would freeze if a rabbit would run through the line unlike a lot of spaniels ? a good lurcher is very versatile?

Photo0480_001.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

had quite a few convictions in the past. never any chance of permission on local estates, quite violent at times nothing to be proud of. Old fart now enjoying mooching about with little dog and couple

When we get a break, from the trapping and rabbiting, I like to have a walkout on the pheasant, and partridge shoots. You meet all sorts of interesting folk, and if you act respectfully,... the i

He’s fully gundog trained,he used to be broke to deer and could stop him on anything but lamping a lot etc kinda changed that. the pic was taken after the picking up team had worked the island bu

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

my old bitch here I sadly lost last march found and flushed no end of birds the spaniels and labs had walked over,she was as steady as a rock and would freeze if a rabbit would run through the line unlike a lot of spaniels ? a good lurcher is very versatile?

Photo0480_001.jpg

Very much so 

You boys are right...:good:

Once you have had the dogs on a warren for bolters, or maybe flushing gear to the gun, it is difficult to, calm things back down,..and get them steady them again...

I quite enjoy picking-up on the various local shoots,...now I am retired,.. it makes for a good day out:clapper:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Westy76 said:

Very much so 

the younger bitch I run now not as steady but she getting there it was only our first shoot last sat so all the dogs are like coiled springs at the moment but they will settle as the season gets into the swing ? if anything she has a bit of a habit of spitting birds out a bit short of me ,yet dosent do it with a rabbit ?

• Like 1

It is still early days yet, all the spaniels and other types are, as you say, like coiled springs...?

As for retrieving, perfectly to hand,...this is a difficult attribute to maintain with running dogs,..more so if you work them really hard. 

I always strive for a steady retrieve, but invariably, as the years go on and the work-load increases,..most dogs get sloppy.

It doesn't matter to me,..it used to, but I have mellowed a tad,...life really is too short to ruin what is left, in that obsessional search for perfection...?

_MG_0184 (2).JPG

• Like 5

it is a shame when people start getting riled with a dog for being les than perfect, I don't take my lurcher shooting but run a gang of cockers and all I do is get them bang on the whistle,  and they learn the rest on the job in the pack so to speak I encourage them to jump up with the retrieve to save my back, but that's about it just let them work and they don't miss much as been said life is far to short.

• Like 4