Shooting estates

There's a grate big shooting estate near me and it's seeming they own most of the land where I live as every farm I'm asking in that's really local to me they all say the same thing it's owned by maristow need to ask the keepers. I would ask the keepers but I know the head keeper there hates lurchers!! Right pain in the ass got to drive to each spot I do have now and none of them offer a good full night of lamping each one you can do in about 30 mins up to an hour then it's back in the car another drive to another spot!! Lost some good land because of these 4x4 hunters trashing places and farmers had enough and put a stop to it all!! 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

had quite a few convictions in the past. never any chance of permission on local estates, quite violent at times nothing to be proud of. Old fart now enjoying mooching about with little dog and couple

When we get a break, from the trapping and rabbiting, I like to have a walkout on the pheasant, and partridge shoots. You meet all sorts of interesting folk, and if you act respectfully,... the i

He’s fully gundog trained,he used to be broke to deer and could stop him on anything but lamping a lot etc kinda changed that. the pic was taken after the picking up team had worked the island bu

Posted Images

I know A couple of people that have got there selfs on land through joining a shoot beating team showing how adaptable Lurchers can be as retrieving dogs An showing how well trained they can be it’s opened up door ways to land to run dogs on But I suppose it’s comes down to if you want to join the beating line 

ive a couple of little to reasonable spots to lamp an ferret  me an a mate we share all our decent spots between us both were both in agreement that we won’t take anyone out no more that’s not in our very small circle on them or open mouths were they are ones a large farm that’s permitted the rest are free lance what ever you do fella permitted or free lance choose ya friends wisely don’t shoot your self in the foot being sound with people we went down that road doing night out with people An there dogs to find they had been dropping back on our spots when it suited them to have there own running An bringing there mates along f****d one of our decent spots that we could get a full night on up well An truly it was a very hard lesson learned I tell people now that know me I don’t work dogs I walk them that’s it I used to get all the local dog lads asking if I wanna lamp but it was always to find mine or our spots out for there own devices 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Balaur said:

Go beating on a Saturday, get yourself known, some keepers will suffer a lurcher owner ....?

Was going 2 say that good way 2 get in saying that I spent 6 year beating on a shoot even got 2 the dizzy heights of head beater ,got ferreting shooting but no lurchers so bollox to it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Biggest estate I go on the keeper isn’t a fan of lurchers but after seeing my dogs he lets me take one dog on a one strike basis (as in if he catches the dog chasing his birds or out of control then dogs are banned) and 5 years later I am still allowed to take one dog! Ask him and see what he says...you’ve got nothing to lose and by the sound of it a fair bit to gain. Good luck. 

• Like 3

I got a couple of places like that, one is a shooting estate, other is NT. Four bits on each, drive between after four or five fields. One is keepered obviously and he's seen me on there with the dogs on leads daytime. The tenant farmer is a mates relation so the keeper accepts me as long as I give 48 hours notice that I'm lamping. 

Not many rabs on there but lots of pheasants and deer.

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1

When we get a break, from the trapping and rabbiting, I like to have a walkout on the pheasant, and partridge shoots.

You meet all sorts of interesting folk, and if you act respectfully,... the invites to have a run, ....soon come in..?

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

When we get a break, from the trapping and rabbiting, I like to have a walkout on the pheasant, and partridge shoots.

You meet all sorts of interesting folk, and if you act respectfully,... the invites to have a run, ....soon come in..?

Your probably right phil perhaps I didn't come across the right way ?

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

098.JPG

I've used my lurcher for beating, however I've always kept him leaded where I know theres deer. 

What would your dog do if a deer popped up on a shoot?

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, nickdonboy said:

I've used my lurcher for beating, however I've always kept him leaded where I know theres deer. 

What would your dog do if a deer popped up on a shoot?

What it was bred to do hopefully ? joking aside if it's to hot to lamp walk it under a good moon stick to the cover and  no lamp or a dark windy night let the dogs use there nose and instinct you will be surprised at what you bump into or catch 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

What it was bred to do hopefully ? joking aside if it's to hot to lamp walk it under a good moon stick to the cover and  no lamp or a dark windy night let the dogs use there nose and instinct you will be surprised at what you bump into or catch 

Theres a bit i know thats really red hot. When the snow comes it gets a visit like walking in daylight a night in the snow.ive had dog catch loads of times in the dark but i dont like the thought of them doing it really on unkown ground

Edited by C.green
4 minutes ago, C.green said:

Theres a bit i know thats really red hot. When the snow comes it gets a visit like walking in daylight a night in the snow.ive had dog catch loads of times in the dark but i dont like the thought of them doing it really on unkown ground

I agree buddy but  you run a risk when ever you slip them as you can't see wires in a lamp or when the dogs focused even day light  I have used gate nets / longnets or general walking up to good effect on hot places under a moon or dark night they are more adapt at night without  a lamp than some think 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Black neck said:

Your probably right phil perhaps I didn't come across the right way ?

no mate you are deff right, i did beating for 5 seasons, but the keeper never let me on with a lurcher , was ok with a ferret but not lurcher no way, maybe i am like you and my face didnt fit. there were lot of brown arses  who get the best pigeon shooting, stuff like that, they get the best woods 1st, you get  the picture mate. i still lamped it when i lived there but went over 3 -4am got few runs with my dog, fook'um . ive been fooking about with lurchers for 30 years, it was the same when i 1st started  , and it no different now  fact .!

• Like 5

See now I went beating there a few times lots avoided me probably the way I look and don't fit don't bother me that much but would rather not spend my time round a load of stuck up asses. If the head keeper fecked off I'd be alright then on some of there tenent farms as I gifted a Springer to one of the keepers so just need him to get head keepers role then I'd be on 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bird said:

no mate you are deff right, i did beating for 5 seasons, but the keeper never let me on with a lurcher , was ok with a ferret but not lurcher no way, maybe i am like you and my face didnt fit. there were lot of brown arses  who get the best pigeon shooting, stuff like that, they get the best woods 1st, you get  the picture mate. i still lamped it when i lived there but went over 3 -4am got few runs with my dog, fook'um . ive been fooking about with lurchers for 30 years, it was the same when i 1st started  , and it no different now  fact .!

?I don't think I would waste five seasons on a shoot, if there was no, ''give and take ' on the Keeper or landowners part...

Unless the estate has sold the stalking, then the deer are often fair game, and down here, a lot of shoots, cull the hares, to hopefully deter trespassers...?

No, its got to be a favour, for a favour, or I ain't bashing no bushes...?

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

?I don't think I would waste five seasons on a shoot, if there was no, ''give and take ' on the Keeper or landowners part...

Unless the estate has sold the stalking, then the deer are often fair game, and down here, a lot of shoots, cull the hares, to hopefully deter trespassers...?

No, its got to be a favour, for a favour, or I ain't bashing no bushes...?

Well phil when u gorra neck this colour you just feel privileged 2 be allowed anywhere