Bacon pudding

I've had a taste for this sInce it was mentioned on here a few days ago :yes:

Nan used to cook it when we were kids so, it's one of those flavours that I remember from childhood.

Mum also made it but, I haven't had it for more than 15yrs now.

Today, one of my rare days off, I thought f**k it, I'll make one :thumbs:

........... This is how Nan used to make it.

Make the suet pastry and roll it out. Put on the cut up bacon and onion, with some parsley and black pepper then, wet the edges and roll it up - sealing the side and tucking in the ends.

Then, rub one side of an old tea towel with lard and, use it to wrap the pudding.

Tie the ends with string and, put a couple of safety pins along the edge to keep it shut.

20191004_140643.jpg

20191004_140718.jpg

20191004_140745.jpg

• Like 3

I always remember Nan and Mum moaning if the pudding stuck and split when they were getting it out :laugh:

........ Beginners luck was definitely on my side today - it came out perfectly :yes:

And, it tastes and smells exactly as I remember - I do like this sort of simple old fashioned grub :thumbs:

20191004_134741.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

That’s it jon you’ve done it... that looks spot on?

My nan use to do me steak n kidney fluffy pud, it was my favourite!

so if it’s pissin down on Sunday that’s what I’m gonna make:)

hope you saved some for the family!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, si brown said:

That’s it jon you’ve done it... that looks spot on?

My nan use to do me steak n kidney fluffy pud, it was my favourite!

so if it’s pissin down on Sunday that’s what I’m gonna make:)

hope you saved some for the family!

That sounds good mate - I do like steak and kidney :yes:

There'll be loads of this left - it's really filling.

I'll have some for tea tonight and, the missus and little 'un will probably finish it off tomorrow  :thumbs:

3 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

I always remember Nan and Mum moaning if the pudding stuck and split when they were getting it out :laugh:

........ Beginners luck was definitely on my side today - it came out perfectly :yes:

And, it tastes and smells exactly as I remember - I do like this sort of simple old fashioned grub :thumbs:

20191004_134741.jpg

Going to have a go at that Jon

looks deeeeeelish

My mother used to make leak pudding the same way but mix the leaks and suit together think flower takes a part in it some where along the way lol (you can use onions if no leaks )

its nice on its own but slice it up and fry it in the bacon grease in the morning after you have done the bacon its to die for

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Going to have a go at that Jon

looks deeeeeelish

My mother used to make leak pudding the same way but mix the leaks and suit together think flower takes a part in it some where along the way lol (you can use onions if no leaks )

its nice on its own but slice it up and fry it in the bacon grease in the morning after you have done the bacon its to die for

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

It was nice mate :thumbs:

........... I like the idea of trying some fried but, everyone here liked it so, it's all feckin gone :rolleyes: :laugh:

That Leek pudding sounds good.

........... She probably used flour to make the suet pastry - it's roughly  3/4 flour,  1/4 suet with a little salt and water :thumbs:

1 minute ago, bell said:

My mate does a game and kidney pudding for our January trip up north every year.......it weighs a ton and it’s oven cooked so the suet pastry goes crispy......top notch...

Yes, this suet pastry is pretty dense. 

There's a few of you on here that given me ideas for new ways to try this now :yes: :thumbs:

• Like 1