New nets - new season

Got my little lad 30 new nets for himself to use a few months ago and he is raring to go. We have got a few hours spare today so we are off out on our first ferreting trip of the season.

I am going to teach him how to set them himself and see how he gets on, he's only 5 so his attention does wander after 2 minutes lol. If he is as good as his older sister I will be well chuffed.

IMG-20191003-WA0000.jpg

Edited by wilbs
  • Like 15

Cheers for the ? lads, have just shown my little lad.

Bobtheferret - went to do the first set with about 20 to 30 holes in it in the middle of the field and some cheeky poacher had beaten me to it, little round pegs lol. Fair play to them ?. Bolted 4 or 5 out of it though then we went to do another set and i let my lad net it up and I just put my long net around it just to show him. Had quite a few out of that one but to.tell the truth Bob it's over run with them and then I went and fetched my dog and bolted a load for him. I will.post a few pics up later. We got 30 odd in the end and had a brilliant day.

Not sure if any of you read my post a while back I was rehoming a big ferret for someone on here but decided to keep him for myself although never been a fan of big ferrets and I never thought I would ever say this but he is probably the best ferret I have ever had. I do a lot of sandy sets which are quite deep and he goes straight to the bottom and clears it out he doesn't half shift the bunnies and I would never part with him and i took him out with us today, the kids have named him Big Bert lol. I wish I had a couple more of him.

I am going get my Mrs to set me up a YouTube channel and start posting some videos on there just ones of me and the kids.

• Like 5

Yes mate there is nothing better than seeing your kids out in the fresh air and passing your knowledge onto them and hearing that bump bump bump underground but unfortunately youngsters nowadays seem to be less and less into it 

• Like 1

He was pal and we have been out again today just mainly bolting them no nets for the dogs.

We put a few nets down on a set to start with and two bolted out at the same time next to each other and he's not stopped telling everyone about it since then. 

The first pic is him helping me put the nets down and i even managed to get my Mrs to put some down. The second pic is when two came out at same time might print it off and he can take it to school with him for show and tell ?.

After an hour or so he went off and climbed a few trees and then he came back with something that looked like a bat moth on steds it was massive never seen one like it before in over 30 odd years down the fields. I have put a couple of pics of it to see if anyone knows what it is, this was taken down the South Coast not sure if it's just something you find down there

IMG-20191005-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191005-WA0001.jpg

20191005_161629.jpg

20191005_161616.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's good to see youngsters out in the fresh air and taking a interest in the country side ,

the big fella doing you good mate I'm glad he found a good home ,I kept one myself and he's doing fine , a good strong  hob or hobs is what'a needed on long days ferreting .

atvb.

Edited by Moocher71
2 hours ago, wilbs said:

He was pal and we have been out again today just mainly bolting them no nets for the dogs.

We put a few nets down on a set to start with and two bolted out at the same time next to each other and he's not stopped telling everyone about it since then. 

The first pic is him helping me put the nets down and i even managed to get my Mrs to put some down. The second pic is when two came out at same time might print it off and he can take it to school with him for show and tell ?.

After an hour or so he went off and climbed a few trees and then he came back with something that looked like a bat moth on steds it was massive never seen one like it before in over 30 odd years down the fields. I have put a couple of pics of it to see if anyone knows what it is, this was taken down the South Coast not sure if it's just something you find down there

IMG-20191005-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191005-WA0001.jpg

20191005_161629.jpg

20191005_161616.jpg

great photos [BANNED TEXT] don't know what type of moth that is looks more like a steath bomber ?lol

Hi Moocher71

Bit spooky.that - was just talking about you earlier when we were out. Never thought I would say.this but if I had to keep only one ferret it would be him. As you know i prefer a small ferret but he is a pleasure to own and he does everything I ask of him and more. I must say though mate in all the years of having ferrets I can never remember a young ferret take to rabbiting like he has as you know what young ferrets can be like knocking nets off, not going deep enough into the sets etc.  A funny thing he does on the odd occasion when the rabbit bolts out and runs in a bit of cover if it is within a few metres of the hole he comes steaming out and quite often grabs them. He is bloody brilliant and has a lovely temperament, wish I had a couple more of him.

It is crazy to think that I was going to.pass him onto a decent chap who would have looked after him. 

During this season I will try to film.him when he comes steam rollering out if I can, normally you just see his nose poking out and he's off back down again it's hilarious to watch. Thanks again