Testicle removel

Does a dog need a operation to remove its testicle if it hasn’t dropped or will it be fine as it is.

Just asking as my nephews spaniel has only got the 1 dropped testicle and the vets told him he’s got to have it operated on ASAP or are they just trying to make a few unecaserry quid. I am amazed they missed it during examinations whilst having its jabs the dogs 14 months old now with no health problems.

17 minutes ago, sid g said:

that's what I was told by the vet ..

This s why I asked, something tells me it wouldn’t effect the dog in any way or cause problems. I could do with advice from folk with experience in the matter as vets like to take advantage when possible imo

2 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

This s why I asked, something tells me it wouldn’t effect the dog in any way or cause problems. I could do with advice from folk with experience in the matter as vets like to take advantage when possible imo

Had a lurcher wi 1 bollok lived till 13 14 

• Like 2

My terrier had an undescended testicle,little fella kept pulling up in pain.took him to vets and as well as turning cancerous,the testicle was wrapped around other parts causing the pain.had it removed and he's been as right as rain since

• Like 2

I started a similar topic earlier this year as my kelpie has a retained testicle. Despite the advice that it's hereditary I couldn't find anything online that stated this as a 100% fact other than hearsay. I'm fine with having one removed due to the cancer risk but couldn't find anything to say unequivocally that it's definitely going to be passed on. The breeder (and my vet) have advised waiting until he's at least two years old as some drop later. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback folks, as I don’t see any evidence that says it’s definatly going to be a problem I will advise him that it’s not necessary to have the dog done but it’s upto him if he wants to pay the money and get it done.

Had the exact same issue with my young lurcher,one not descended, the other just under the skin in his groin.It wasnt  a problem until a month ago when he sometimes yelped when he ran,went over him as you do and found the testicle was tender.After speaking to my vet who i trust,she was more concerned with the undescended one,cancer being more likely in this one. Undescended testicles can be a long way from where they're supposed to be,and in his case it was...£150 was all it cost ,couldnt tell hed had anything done after 3 days..if i were him I'd get it removed...