First venture into magpie trapping

Hi everyone, 

After receiving my unique trapping number from the local WO the other day, I've decided to finally act and rid my garden of these horrible creatures. That's my trap out and set with a decoy, so wish me luck on my first time using a Larsen! 

Atvb

Mark 

IMG_20190930_132447.jpg

• Like 1

Now I know you think I'm taking the piss but put a little trust in THL members. A box of matches is one of the best ways of getting a magpies interest. Give it a good old rattle a few times a minute and you will get their attention. After that though it's down to your guile to get the barstuard said into the Larson. Don"t forget, since you've put this up, that a live call bird needs shelter and water. That is if you catch a fckr. Good luck. Jok.

• Like 1

Well the best of luck there then. They are a canny bird and the most difficult to trap. Actually I've never heard of anyone using a decoy bird. Would be interesting to have a trail cam recording to see what the real magpie makes of it all. Presumably you using rubber eggs as well ffs. Jok.

Have caught 7 in the Larson for a mate this year, believe it or not but she has a giant tortoise in her garden and the magpies were attacking it, I assume they were after his eyes but when he retreats into his shell they were taking chunks out the front legs that were left on show, just put an egg in the trap and had 2 on the first attempt then another five over the next few weeks, as soon as one goes in the others will follow ???

• Like 2
On 30/09/2019 at 17:23, maha87 said:

Thanks jok, I'll look into the matches! 

I'm not permitted to keep a live call bird in my trap because its in my garden and may offend the neighbours according to the WO.. So I'm just using a plastic decoy. 

Atvb 

Mark 

Will the caught birds not offend the neighbours?

• Like 3
On 30/09/2019 at 16:21, jok said:

Now I know you think I'm taking the piss but put a little trust in THL members. A box of matches is one of the best ways of getting a magpies interest. Give it a good old rattle a few times a minute and you will get their attention. After that though it's down to your guile to get the barstuard said into the Larson. Don"t forget, since you've put this up, that a live call bird needs shelter and water. That is if you catch a fckr. Good luck. Jok.

A small handful of air gun pellets in an old 35mm film canister used to be my magpie call when I was a lad , 177 or 22 ?

• Like 1