Don't neglect an oil change folks!

For the past few weeks I noticed I was starting to hear my turbo. It's only a tiny unit on a petrol but when I got the vehicle in spring I could hear nothing from it.

So I changed the oil on Saturday and silence has returned from the turbo!

Don't neglect the oil and if I may suggest....don't stick to the redicueless service intervals on modern vehicles! My car said it had 6000 miles to the next service, I reset the service countdown and it said 12500 miles! I DON'T THINK SO!

SD.

• Like 1

My Peugeot Partner van gets a full service every year or 12,000 miles but the guy who services it says it should have an oil and filter change every 6,000 miles.

He's not touting for work as I get it done at cost price .

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

they extend the service interval to keep the fleet buyers happy, some of them will only get 1 service then its off to auction, I do mine every 5k, just find that interval easier to remember and doing it myself using trade bits its cheap enough

• Like 1

Years ago I used to have a Citroen C15 van well I’ve had a couple I believe it was the Peugeot XUD 1.9 Diesel an amazing engine lots of cab drivers used to run them, I bought one from new and changed the oil and filter plus the diesel filter every 6000 which was every 3 weeks I used to do 90000 miles a year and I sold it at a good price with 362000 miles on the clock after running it faultless apart from a clutch every 150000. 

• Like 1
On 30/09/2019 at 18:33, Greyman said:

My sister had a new mini some years back, bmw refused to service it until the date on the service book, something happened in the engine and the timing belt jumped and caused a total engine failure ✌️

Don't start me on timing belts!

• Like 2

When I was a mechanic decades ago a family brought their Audi in.

They could not get a proper reading on the dip stick! It's was his wife's car and he worked away a lot. The car did one mile to school in the morning and one mile in the afternoon! At the time Audi said oil change every 10 thou and the family thought it was ok to follow that!

The sump was full of sludge, the cam box was solid with a tar like sludge.

We had to jet wash the engine inside!

Cams out, head off and sump off.

It all worked out ok and for the next two years they dumped Audi service and came to us twice a year for oil and filter change.

Anyone else use a pello pump, makes oil changes a doddle, just warm the engine pump the pump a few times thread the probe down the dipstick and go for a brew, no need to crawl under and I understand a few makes now don’t have a sump plug on them ✌️

20 hours ago, Greyman said:

Anyone else use a pello pump, makes oil changes a doddle, just warm the engine pump the pump a few times thread the probe down the dipstick and go for a brew, no need to crawl under and I understand a few makes now don’t have a sump plug on them ✌️

I like the sound of that, gonna check it out ?

3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I like the sound of that, gonna check it out ?

I do a few boats as well as cars so you can’t just let the oil out the bottom, as oil in water is a big no no amongst the boating community, I was a little dubious at first but they do seem to suck out every last drop ✌️✌️ 

5C8B4EFF-42FF-47A8-8440-A3AC97A912B8.png

• Like 1