Many, many foxes.

After our pretty average trip out last week under the big moon, last night was dark with a decent breeze, so we were quietly confident of a decent haul, but I didn't expect to see quite so many foxes as we did.

We saw our first less than 5 minutes after arriving. I fired, and it ran headlong into the undergrowth. The blood trail led to a big old dog fox dead as a doornail about 10 yards into the brush. Next fox was an even bigger dog. Our first 30 minutes there accounted for 4 foxes!

After the initial rush, things quietened down a so we had a coffee break and we saw nothing for a while. I gave Jack the gun and it was my turn to spot and lamp. I was sure he wasn't going to beat my tally of 4, but when they started to show themselves again, I became less sure. His "duck call" fox caller which normally makes foxes run a mile was actually calling them in last night, and soon he had 3 under his belt.

Our record there is 8, and having 7 so far I said "Do you reckon we're....." Not wanting to jinx it, he said "I'm saying nothing." A short while later and we had taken 4 each which made us even more determined to get to number 9.

It wasn't looking good, as we only saw one fox. It was standing by the bushes watching us but lighting it up just made it turn tail and go deeper in. It had a very distinctive tail with a black ring round it. Calling it just made it look at us, but from deep in the bushes. It was the same one we'd seen it earlier too, but it wasn't going to come out.

We were resigned to equaling but not bettering our record and were going to call it a night. Something said to go back and see if this fox was still there. A quick scan with the thermal showed 3 rooting about. I said to Jack to get ready as I was sure one was out in the open. I lit it up and sure enough it was 10-15 yards out of safety. Jack took the shot and fox number 9 was in the bag. It was the one that had been taunting us earlier with a black ring round his tail. The other 2 scarpered and after much back-slapping and self-congratulation we started heading back to the car.

On the way back we discussed our next "target" of double figures, and seeing a fox in the treeline oblivious to us was just perfect. Jack took position, I lit it up... Bang!. And he missed it like the knob he is. :laugh:

Still we ended up with 6 dogs and 3 vixens so can't grumble,

On 27/09/2019 at 13:43, walshie said:

After our pretty average trip out last week under the big moon, last night was dark with a decent breeze, so we were quietly confident of a decent haul, but I didn't expect to see quite so many foxes as we did.

We saw our first less than 5 minutes after arriving. I fired, and it ran headlong into the undergrowth. The blood trail led to a big old dog fox dead as a doornail about 10 yards into the brush. Next fox was an even bigger dog. Our first 30 minutes there accounted for 4 foxes!

After the initial rush, things quietened down a so we had a coffee break and we saw nothing for a while. I gave Jack the gun and it was my turn to spot and lamp. I was sure he wasn't going to beat my tally of 4, but when they started to show themselves again, I became less sure. His "duck call" fox caller which normally makes foxes run a mile was actually calling them in last night, and soon he had 3 under his belt.

Our record there is 8, and having 7 so far I said "Do you reckon we're....." Not wanting to jinx it, he said "I'm saying nothing." A short while later and we had taken 4 each which made us even more determined to get to number 9.

It wasn't looking good, as we only saw one fox. It was standing by the bushes watching us but lighting it up just made it turn tail and go deeper in. It had a very distinctive tail with a black ring round it. Calling it just made it look at us, but from deep in the bushes. It was the same one we'd seen it earlier too, but it wasn't going to come out.

We were resigned to equaling but not bettering our record and were going to call it a night. Something said to go back and see if this fox was still there. A quick scan with the thermal showed 3 rooting about. I said to Jack to get ready as I was sure one was out in the open. I lit it up and sure enough it was 10-15 yards out of safety. Jack took the shot and fox number 9 was in the bag. It was the one that had been taunting us earlier with a black ring round his tail. The other 2 scarpered and after much back-slapping and self-congratulation we started heading back to the car.

On the way back we discussed our next "target" of double figures, and seeing a fox in the treeline oblivious to us was just perfect. Jack took position, I lit it up... Bang!. And he missed it like the knob he is. :laugh:

Still we ended up with 6 dogs and 3 vixens so can't grumble,

Good going! 

Either they are being dumped there as SD says or the ground hasn't been looked after for a while.