New Pup saluki x

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pup finally come good!

Cheers guys new vet diagnosed him with sarcoptic  mange which surprised me. But his hair growing back as fast as it disappeared!

If there are no signs of mange mites, burrowing under the skin, causing bleeds and pustules, etc,...there is no point in trying to eradicate a parasite that is not on the host... It is best to co

Posted Images

If there are no signs of mange mites, burrowing under the skin, causing bleeds and pustules, etc,...there is no point in trying to eradicate a parasite that is not on the host...

It is best to consider, a radical change in diet, and possibly,..a temporary (or maybe, a permanent)  change in the pup's location.?

Things are far easier in the warm summer months,...you can get a jukel with skin ailments, out onto the sea, and also offer copious amounts of raw tripe and beef mince, with plenty of oily fish.  Sometimes, you need to experiment and find, THE food, that suits the wee critter...

Dogs differ greatly in their ability to handle various ailments, some, like humans,  are far more resilient than others.

Whatever the reasons for this poor critter's condition, I would desist from rubbing in powerful chemicals and suchlike, onto an already damaged skin surface...

No hunting man likes to see, a running dog, or indeed any type of working canine suffer...

All the best,...Phil.

We had major problems with this fine dog,..but got there in the end, so, keep on trying...?

DSC_0054.JPG

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

If there are no signs of mange mites, burrowing under the skin, causing bleeds and pustules, etc,...there is no point in trying to eradicate a parasite that is not on the host...

It is best to consider, a radical change in diet, and possibly,..a temporary (or maybe, a permanent)  change in the pup's location.?

Things are far easier in the warm summer months,...you can get a jukel with skin ailments, out onto the sea, and also offer copious amounts of raw tripe and beef mince, with plenty of oily fish.  Sometimes, you need to experiment and find, THE food, that suits the wee critter...

Dogs differ greatly in their ability to handle various ailments, some, like humans,  are far more resilient than others.

Whatever the reasons for this poor critter's condition, I would desist from rubbing in powerful chemicals and suchlike, onto an already damaged skin surface...

No hunting man likes to see, a running dog, or indeed any type of working canine suffer...

All the best,...Phil.

We had major problems with this fine dog,..but got there in the end, so, keep on trying...?

DSC_0054.JPG

Changed his diet to lamb, got fresh bedding hoping to see an improvement, it hasn't got any worse over night.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, poxon said:

If it’s not mange I’ll put money on it’s poor quality food that the pup was reared on like weatbix an supermarkets own brand biscuits 

I have reared loads of pups in 50 years and mine always get weetabix  and goats milk for breakfast, lol and I doubt anyone rears pups better than me, but you could be right mate.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, two crows said:

I have reared loads of pups in 50 years and mine always get weetabix  and goats milk for breakfast, lol and I doubt anyone rears pups better than me, but you could be right mate.

It’s all speculation fella take away the goat milk what ya got only fibre not really much else to benefit for a fast growing pup that needs fats,protein etc being a carnivore my money’s still on diet to be honest because of what’s already been said by the owner they started getting loads of raw down it and it don’t seem to be getting any worse my money is on the pup has being reared on low grade cheap adult food or a cheap mixture base biscuit with little to no protein value but it’s all a guess tbh 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Matty,  has your vet done a thorough check? Been doing a bit of research, and it certainly looks like hypothyroidism, all the symptoms. Maybe a change of vet might be in order. Anyway, hope you get it sorted ?

He didn't take scrapings I actually am seeing another vet next week!

I'm starting  to think it is an allergy, he has lost so much hair put not one sore spot or Inflammed skin!

• Like 1

I  have one bitch with multiple allergies now treated with Apoquel as immunotherapy was no longer working.  She was horrendously itchy without treatment and had to wear a cone all the time to stop her tearing herself up, she is fine now on the Apoquel.

As your pup is not itching it might not be allergies.  If the new vet cannot find anything I would give him a chance and see if he comes right after a good while on decent food plus an effective worming programme.

14 minutes ago, matty said:

Rest of pups apparantly fine.

Didn’t some of the other pups have hair loss issues,could you get in touch with any of the owners  for some feedback? 

Edited by Allan P
  • Like 1