Bald patches and scratching pics included

• 2 weeks later...

Hey if that is demodex (demodectic mange) the vet wont treat it with anything other than a rinse i.e. Advocate.

The only thing for this pup is Ivomec or Bimectin.  Now on that note it is advised not to give it to collies as they have a gene which can cause death if given  ivermectin (the active ingredient in Ivomec or Bimectin).  That said every sheep farmer I know here in the Sperrins will always ask the vet to give their dogs a jag while he is there dosing sheep.

Ivomec or bimectin retails at about £20 for 250ml.  It is super strong but works miracles for demodex.  I mean it is like 1ml per 50kg and really really easy to apply.  A quick jag to the scruff and in half a second boom, done.

It doesnt need a prescription and if you go to any agri store they will have it.  They usually throw in a free needle which is real easy to fill 0.1 ml which I would consider for your pup.  In a 250ml bottle you will have enough to do you the dogs lifespan (joking, the shelf life will probably expire first).

Don't be shy of jagging your pup.  I have a dog with the exact same condition and Bimectin has worked an absolute dream, honestly.  So if your pup has no collie in it try it out and please 0.1 ml or even half that.  The tiniest amount.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 22/10/2019 at 23:02, RTurlough said:

So if your pup has no collie in it try it out and please 0.1 ml or even half that.  The tiniest amount.

What's the best way to treat for lurchers with collie blood so can't have ivermectin? I've got one here I'd better get tested, she has irritation / scabs / flaky skin on an ear and elbow. I thought it was a bit of thorn I couldn't find but it's gone on for a few weeks and she's in the hay barn every day where she could have picked up mange.

To answer my own question, the vet sold me afoxolaner / milbemycin oxime tablets which are tablets which kill a wide range of internal and external parasites and are safe for collie blooded dogs. Can't say I'm all that keen on giving the dog a tablet strong enough to kill parasites for a month, particularly when the vet couldn't find mange mites in the skin scrapings.

Hey dont worry about the month thing, even a spot on treatment you pick up in the corner shop at the pets stand works for a month.

I had one sheep farmer friend who was concerned about the ivermectin and I asked him what did he do......now this is genius.......since he is a sheep farmer he filled a wheelie bin with water and threw in a cup of sheep dip and sloshed it around and the dipped the dog!  Cleanest dog in the country, dont know how future pups will turn out....but cleanest dog in the country!!!! lol