britains next big air disaster

did any of you watch this.basically it was showing what damage a drone could do to an airplane.drones are not allowed to fly near airports but you can buy a little device to disable the software that stops these little buggers doing so.it is availble on the net apparently (sic).anyway the host who was an ex sniper who said that he would use a .308 rifle to take the drones out and that this round can travel 10 miles wtf.now my weapon of choice would be a fac shotgun loaded with 00 buck on the back of an atv.my choice of weapon would not kill someone 10 miles away and would have a much better chance of hitting its target with 9 .38cal projectiles in each round.it sounded to me that the bloke did not know what he was talking about or he was reading a script written by some muppet who knows nothing about shotguns,firearms.just my opinion of course but what would you take to do the job ?

• Like 1

I watched that as well mate certainly makes you think dont it.....my pals son works for Weston Aerospace i asked him about it he reckons its going to be a battle of technology over the coming years as theres just nothing in place to combat the problem on any kind of scale.

Another example of tech just becoming too much for society.

1 minute ago, Lenmcharristar said:

There should be drone Jaming radars put in place and master codes for an employee to be able to take control of the drone and land it away from the air craft

Wont the tech bods just get around it in time though mate ?

Its like steroids in sport its just a race between the labs and the testers.

8 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Caught the end of something the other night..., using lasers to knock out drones from literally miles away. Coming to an airport near you soon...

Yeah I watched that also...very star wars I was impressed :thumbs:

I know a chap in the raf regiment that was involved with the anti drone ops all over the country recently. Basically he said the tech is there but the biggest problem was legislation needed to change to allow them to use it. Wouldn't divulge further.

Anyway, projectile weapons are last decade. Even in the battlefield they're using electronic weapons and countermeasures to take out drones. And as pesky has pointed out directed energy weapons are an obvious solution.

PS I doubt a shotgun would have the range and would be spraying buck all over the airport.

Another solution I thought of was a small surface to air missile with a purely kinetic warhead. It could be designed to deploy a parachute for a safe fall back to earth to minimise collateral. Also the small size would minimise risk to jets etc.

Just enough to kill a drone. Only caveat is cost of a launch but perhaps that could be brought down with a largely reusable missile.