Let's talk HPRs...

Okay, so I want to start with an admission of the fact that I have next to f**k all first hand experience of HPRs. But what I have read about them over the years really interests me. Also, this is really just ground work for the future. I'm not buying one next week, more like in 5 years.

In truth, for most of what I do spaniels suit me but I do a bit of all sorts and the versatility and pointing nature of the HPRs would certainly have a place in addition to a spaniel or two in my kennel. Our little DIY syndicate is more of a hybrid driven/walked-up shoot, than a tradition driven shoot, ie lots of blanking in and walking Guns. Pheasant, Mallard and English partridge are the bulk of the bag. There's also no dedicated picking up team and so dogs get a varied day. I also get a bit of stalking in and general vermin stuff. So you can see my interest.

I'm leaning towards Wirehaired Viz' or maybe GWP if I'm feeling brave. I'd imagine working HPR and spaniel simultaneous could end in ruination of the HPRs steadiness on point? I sort of see them as different tools to be used independently?

Really I'm just looking to stimulate a bit of opinion sharing about HPRs.... 

Stamp of these! (random google pic)

HWV.png

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Hi BH,

I just love the GSP, German Short Hair.

Airgun hunting ( static), Shotgun hunting and static, trapping , walked up, retrieves everything to hand, they are superb gun dogs and very good watch dogs too.

Flushes a woodcock here after the command  " go on ".

IMG_1249.JPG.c6da676601f433acd409480dd51250c8.JPG

On point for a rabbit.

IMG_0781.JPG.95c70a72ac2bb8c7c1e88b1a2840fd1e.JPG

Static air gun, all retrieved to hand.

IMG_0816.JPG.af3cb81fb0428d22f3c14a783c10097f.JPG

GSP are great all round hunting dogs.

Good luck.

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Hi BH,

I just love the GSP, German Short Hair.

Airgun hunting ( static), Shotgun hunting and static, trapping , walked up, retrieves everything to hand, they are superb gun dogs and very good watch dogs too.

Flushes a woodcock here after the command  " go on ".

IMG_1249.JPG.c6da676601f433acd409480dd51250c8.JPG

On point for a rabbit.

IMG_0781.JPG.95c70a72ac2bb8c7c1e88b1a2840fd1e.JPG

Static air gun, all retrieved to hand.

IMG_0816.JPG.af3cb81fb0428d22f3c14a783c10097f.JPG

GSP are great all round hunting dogs.

Good luck.

And they have the silkiest most strokeable ears (I'm not a girl, I promise). I like dogs ears.

On 24/09/2019 at 14:39, Born Hunter said:

Okay, so I want to start with an admission of the fact that I have next to f**k all first hand experience of HPRs. But what I have read about them over the years really interests me. Also, this is really just ground work for the future. I'm not buying one next week, more like in 5 years.

In truth, for most of what I do spaniels suit me but I do a bit of all sorts and the versatility and pointing nature of the HPRs would certainly have a place in addition to a spaniel or two in my kennel. Our little DIY syndicate is more of a hybrid driven/walked-up shoot, than a tradition driven shoot, ie lots of blanking in and walking Guns. Pheasant, Mallard and English partridge are the bulk of the bag. There's also no dedicated picking up team and so dogs get a varied day. I also get a bit of stalking in and general vermin stuff. So you can see my interest.

I'm leaning towards Wirehaired Viz' or maybe GWP if I'm feeling brave. I'd imagine working HPR and spaniel simultaneous could end in ruination of the HPRs steadiness on point? I sort of see them as different tools to be used independently?

Really I'm just looking to stimulate a bit of opinion sharing about HPRs.... 

Stamp of these! (random google pic)

HWV.png

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/the-point-of-pointers-5970

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help you with the wirehaired Vizsla,  but I would advise to give smooth coat vizsla's a miss, they are to soft in nature, I've tried a few different breeds of hpr, gsp, weimaraner & I've had 6 smooth coated Hungarian vizsla's,  only 1 Vizsla out out the litter had great potential & a game keeper got that 1, if I ever went for another hpr breed, it would be a wirehaired pointer, I consider them to be the hardiest of the lot & the gsp to be the most loyal. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 20:42, wilbur foxhound said:

Born hunter where abouts are you,I have a book about villa,s here if you want it,pm me if you like wf

Thank you for the offer mate. But I'm not much of a reader so it'd likely be wasted on me. Cheers though. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Id go with either a HWV or something else to think about a Braque Francois Pyrenees (not the Gascogne) both are very capable and very owner-centric. I would avoid Brittany's like the plague I've never seen an outstanding one yet. GWP are fantastic dogs but they have a real aggressiveness to them I've known four cases like this, two turned into confirmed sheep killers and the other two killed their own siblings for absolutely no reason (reviewed by cctv) having been kennelled together for many years. They are also quite ploddy compared to the lighter HPR's. 

• Like 1