Make the most of these evenings

I’m just sat in the mule next to one of the pens having a watch and listen. It won’t be long and the nights will be long and the daylight short and  I will be sat on the sofa at this time bored shitless . The sound of the pheasants flying up to roost in their hundreds makes me feel content that I’ve got them this far and they are still here and looking healthy and fit . Won’t be long before we start shooting , 12th October for us . I can also here a Muntjac buck barking in the distance.  A hornet just flew past making a very deep  buzzing sound  that had me on alert . Then a plane went over and made a booming sound that got all the pheasants cocking up and it was deafening, I smiled , that’s a lovely sound . I just sat and soaked it all in and thought how lucky I am to be here doing a job I love in a place I love . I thought I’d share a couple of photos and my experience of this evening, one of the last warm / mild evenings to sit out me thinks . 198BD30C-A371-4A8E-BAA2-C5FD4B3A66DD.jpeg.881d30931e2550c7ec56fe3ab6a118c7.jpeg

FB3952C2-FF5D-4B5E-A0A8-3F470C7518CA.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Good on ya mate. I regularly make myself stop & just appreciate what I've got. 

I know exactly what you mean about the sounds & feeling content you've done a good job. For me the noise that evokes that is when a ewe starts chattering to her newborn as she's cleaning it. 20 years and still I love it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I must be mad but , I actually look forward to getting up at 5.30 and feeding my birds . This is because I’ve had a good season and I know that I’ve got plenty for the season. But I’ve been doing this long enough that I’ve had bad years when I’ve thought “ where are the birds ? How am I going to produce days with so few birds about? “ I’m on the first feed ride at about 6am , the first birds start dropping down at about 6.25 am  and by 6.35 they are lined up on the feed . I have to pick my way along the rides ploughing my way along making sure not to run any over. It’s reassuring and heart warming to see a feed ride full of birds . It takes me an hour and 15 minutes to feed , by which time I go back to the start of my feed rides and watch them on the stubble before going home for breakfast. It’s annoying but I have a dog walker that is not “ shooting friendly “ , and has caused a few problems, but I’m on his case and I’m making his dog walks an unpleasant time , he’s not been coming here for long and I’ve a feeling it won’t be much longer. Anyway, after supervising the morning dog walking nonsense it’s time for breakfast . However I take time to watch a bit of nature the morning mists , the deer , the rabbits, the birds , and then I get the iPhone out and see what sausagedog and Walshie , Gav and Stavross and Benbhoy and Ianm and sibrown and David. Evans and  longshanx have all been up to . I wish I could share some of my recent experiences with you all , but the powers that be have put a social media blackout on things , for good reason , but my lack of updates is because  I’m like a lot of us “busy “ . 

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

another great post sl...

I really like this site. its the only one I'm on, and this section is by far the most interesting!

I like my air rifles and always will, I've used them 30+years... its only the last couple of years that ive had the opportunity to get my fac, it didn't fall in with my previous life/ x-wife. 

my dad got me into fishing as a young lad and by 8 I was getting moaned at by my mum for nicking the wire off the back of the paintings!

im out loads but don't really do hunting posts with the big stuff because of having young kids...

a bloke not 5 mins walk from my house got a gift in the post from the antis.. it wasn't good:shok:

the lads in this section make it what it is... it becomes apparent that here its not sport but a way of life and who we are, its built into us and can come from nowhere!

keep the good posts coming lads, im out there in the background all hours.. my lass thinks im mental trekking about in the wee hours but its where I want to be and enjoy it, even if it means spending most of Sunday asleep on the sofa. 

dawn at the chicken farm the other week waiting on a night raker coming home... priceless:good:

aD3sn0KBSXStjGGWWg86Pw.jpg.26408a34c8d35c65a37a6a4c957e9f4c.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, si brown said:

another great post sl...

I really like this site. its the only one I'm on, and this section is by far the most interesting!

I like my air rifles and always will, I've used them 30+years... its only the last couple of years that ive had the opportunity to get my fac, it didn't fall in with my previous life/ x-wife. 

my dad got me into fishing as a young lad and by 8 I was getting moaned at by my mum for nicking the wire off the back of the paintings!

im out loads but don't really do hunting posts with the big stuff because of having young kids...

a bloke not 5 mins walk from my house got a gift in the post from the antis.. it wasn't good:shok:

the lads in this section make it what it is... it becomes apparent that here its not sport but a way of life and who we are, its built into us and can come from nowhere!

keep the good posts coming lads, im out there in the background all hours.. my lass thinks im mental trekking about in the wee hours but its where I want to be and enjoy it, even if it means spending most of Sunday asleep on the sofa. 

dawn at the chicken farm the other week waiting on a night raker coming home... priceless:good:

aD3sn0KBSXStjGGWWg86Pw.jpg.26408a34c8d35c65a37a6a4c957e9f4c.jpg

I like the photo Si , a scene that is unknown to most . I’ve been into country sports since I could walk . My father was a bookmaker and greyhound trainer , and general  ner do well , who took me Ferretting , and what I know now was poaching I suppose at an early age , and I was hooked. I got air rifles ( bsa meteor) my first , and fishing . But ferreting and ferrets and terriers and Lurcher’s were what made me tick . It’s so much a part of me , and so ingrained in my life that I don’t know anything else . I’ve spent all my life at the bottom of a hedge . I don’t go on any other social media and my interests have become more and more towards rifles these days . I’m not really interested in the earth dog and Lurcher section , even though I still work Terrier’s, because they are something that I’ve always done and I am not interested in anyone else’s opinion on my Terrier’s and my terrier work . But I enjoy reading the posts from likeminded hunters and rifle enthusiasts. And I don’t know everything and the guys on here are very willing to share info and help you out . Long may it continue.?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I like the photo Si , a scene that is unknown to most . I’ve been into country sports since I could walk . My father was a bookmaker and greyhound trainer , and general  ner do well , who took me Ferretting , and what I know now was poaching I suppose at an early age , and I was hooked. I got air rifles ( bsa meteor) my first , and fishing . But ferreting and ferrets and terriers and Lurcher’s were what made me tick . It’s so much a part of me , and so ingrained in my life that I don’t know anything else . I’ve spent all my life at the bottom of a hedge . I don’t go on any other social media and my interests have become more and more towards rifles these days . I’m not really interested in the earth dog and Lurcher section , even though I still work Terrier’s, because they are something that I’ve always done and I am not interested in anyone else’s opinion on my Terrier’s and my terrier work . But I enjoy reading the posts from likeminded hunters and rifle enthusiasts. And I don’t know everything and the guys on here are very willing to share info and help you out . Long may it continue.?

I’m like that with fishing, I don’t go in there and don’t comment... did it once and got a shity reply, I fished in a cobble with my dad and anyone that would take me out when I was supposed to be at school doing the nets and pots.. caught pike and silver fish that people dream of catching!!

im loving the reloading posts at the moment as it’s on my radar?

• Like 2

Absolutely on the money SL and Si.

I'm in same boat; was bunking off school before leaving primary just to do anything outdoors. My dad was a keen hill walker & growing up in snowdonia was a privilege with him showing me every track possible. He taught me all about bird ID and animal tracking. But my dad not into country sports at all. My uncle took me feretting & he started a lifong interest in running dogs. Like everyone else I got air rifle (break barrel cometa) at 10 and shotgun at 17. Started helping with lambing at 11 and I've only missed two lambing seasons in over 20 years. 

Like Si said, its just who you are, its just part of your DNA, British countryside & rural life. Its bloody hard work, early starts, sometimes I'm falling asleep eating my tea. My back aches, my hands are rough & I usually smell. Would I change it??? Would I f**k!! 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, si brown said:

I'm on another forum too, about watching pigeons.... Someone on there suggested to me if I prefer THL I'm either a gypsy or a chav. Better than being a twať I told him. 

• Haha 4