Guide lines please if you can

Late to the party sorry and not read all....

Personally I would not try to use the same powder for the two Dave.

It's a compromise that way.

223 will work best with powders slightly faster than powders ideal for 243.

By faster I mean burn rates not bullet velocity.

Folks I know that try this were never happy with the results!

My preference is for extruded powders over spherical, pencils or kernals instead of tiny balls or squashed balls.

There are many cross reference charts on line so H322- H4895 for the 223 or the brands in that range and H4350 for 243 or equiv ( good for 100grn 243 loads. Go faster with 80grn or less).

3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Late to the party sorry and not read all....

Personally I would not try to use the same powder for the two Dave.

It's a compromise that way.

223 will work best with powders slightly faster than powders ideal for 243.

By faster I mean burn rates not bullet velocity.

Folks I know that try this were never happy with the results!

My preference is for extruded powders over spherical, pencils or kernals instead of tiny balls or squashed balls.

There are many cross reference charts on line so H322- H4895 for the 223 or the brands in that range and H4350 for 243 or equiv ( good for 100grn 243 loads. Go faster with 80grn or less).

Ahh ....4895 my favorite. Fill it up and burn it slow. I've got a load for my 223 that is hot as my rifle likes.  It will propel a 55grn Sierra bthp out at 3450 which is only a couple of hundred below a 22.250.  BUT IT isn't wise to share other people's rifle loads no more than it is wise to share other people's underwear. 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Meece said:

Ahh ....4895 my favorite. Fill it up and burn it slow. I've got a load for my 223 that is hot as my rifle likes.  It will propel a 55grn Sierra bthp out at 3450 which is only a couple of hundred below a 22.250.  BUT IT isn't wise to share other people's rifle loads no more than it is wise to share other people's underwear. 

Yes sir, that's a good load 

4895 is fantastic but getting scarce.

I use to get 3160fps with 110grn bullets out of my 20" barreled 308. The case was brimmed!

Many a cartridge can expand on book values with carful loading and the right powder.

Just a update 

all the gear arrived to day, and tomorrow is set aside for setting up and brass cleaning 

I’ve been to the RFD. And after buying the Hornaday 10 edition for reloading , and having at good look thro it , 55g v max .233 and 95 g SST 243 and decided on N140 for the 223 , and N160 for the 243 according to there data I hopefully will get good results after starting low and build up , time will tell ! 

as they say slowly slowly catches the monkey 

atb 

• Like 2