Real basic newby question but ive just bought one of the £6 chinese catapults from ebay and some ball bearings.

Do people find that the standard band is powerful enough or do they swap it out for something more powerful, it feels quite easy to pull back but i havent got the ball bearings to shoot yet.

You do swap it out where do i get the alternative from?

Thanks

Dan 

Best advice is to bin that cheap chinese catapult because they have a reputation for snapping and I wouldn't want a lump of metal flight into my face or eye! If you are after a cheap decent catapult them try WASP catapults or Celtic Catapult if you want a wire frame catapult then Dankung is the place to go.

Depends what your doing i use sheshou flat for most little walk outs on a custom raptor 9.5 steel but if i fancy a night walking woods and lanes in pheasants theraband green tube with 10mm lead. If ya shooting out the motor i do like the ppmg+ and gzk green. But thats bieng fussy i feel im good enough with all of them to have a shot at anything but i dont like using the steel on the pheasants it doesnt have the slap lead does even with head shots.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Devon Minnow said:

Best advice is to bin that cheap chinese catapult because they have a reputation for snapping and I wouldn't want a lump of metal flight into my face or eye! If you are after a cheap decent catapult them try WASP catapults or Celtic Catapult if you want a wire frame catapult then Dankung is the place to go.

Think those are scare story,s put out by people that sell catty,s for a living have been using cheap Chinese catty,s for a while and not ever seen one break my current rig is a cheap £6 one and have done some pretty good shots with it no problem and my son can do some of the worlds best fork hits and he,s never broke one, I change the bands because I like a slightly bigger pouch and longer draw but if you only draw back to your face the ones supplied will do the job until you get something else ??

On 23/09/2019 at 21:29, Devon Minnow said:

Buy cheap buy twice. Personally I rarely use a frame now adays but the ones I have came from well know makers and for the sake of a few extra quid is the risk worth it

When you say you don’t use a frame are you using a finger hold or have you just stopped shooting, it’s not to do with cost why I buy Chinese, I have quite a lot of nice natural hazel forks that cost nothing just don’t like seeing these so called big names sticking the knife in to the Chinese market then endorsing people like dangkung and gzk who just repackage the same gear get a few names on board to endorse it and slag off everything else, it’s the greed aspect I don’t like, I think all kids should have a catty but at £50/£60 notes a pop it won’t happen, people like acer Wilson who hand crafts all his gear deserves the price tag and it’s something to treat yourself to but just repackaging Chinese gear whilst telling people not to buy Chinese gear is a piss take, I have frames from £60 to £6 and there is no real difference the Snide scout has killed a lot of stuff for me and at £7 delivered should be in every kids Christmas stocking , firing a catty no matter how expensive will always carry an element of risk but that’s just life ✌️✌️

• Like 2

Not giving up shooting out every day. I shoot bare  back style from looped 1633 and 8mm right up to loped 2050 and .50cal leads. 

Unless you know what these cheap Chinese catapult are made of I would stay clear of them. I would only buy one if they were made from 304steel.  I am a Yorkshire man born and bred and as tight as a ducks ..s when it comes to money but I value my sight , just like you say there if always an element of risk

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

• Thanks 1
On 29/09/2019 at 09:47, Devon Minnow said:

Not giving up shooting out every day. I shoot bare  back style from looped 1633 and 8mm right up to loped 2050 and .50cal leads. 

Unless you know what these cheap Chinese catapult are made of I would stay clear of them. I would only buy one if they were made from 304steel.  I am a Yorkshire man born and bred and as tight as a ducks ..s when it comes to money but I value my sight , just like you say there if always an element of risk

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

I’ve had just two Chinese catapults, a simple shot scout copy and a generic optic fibre type.

The Chinese scout copy is the best value bought  catapult I’ve come across.....seriously I’ve had loads of fork hits etc and the band clamping is good quality.

My little generic optic fibre Chinese catapult was a lovely fit in the hand, unfortunately for me I had about five plus fork hits in a row and a hand hit, I hadn’t shot for a while due to my muscles.......no idea what I was doing wrong.....it was me and not the catapult, however the hits had damaged it so much it had fractured part of it.

The Chinese scout i received is top notch and I would recommend.

• Like 1

Still not had any fork hits and still doing the biz, must agree about the snide scout cracking bit of kit love mine, do fancy a go on a forkless set up, did you smash your hands much getting used to it d,m  ??

CDF20F05-A96E-465F-A0FC-D4D21D36C2FA.jpeg

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1