Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

21 hours ago, mC HULL said:

roe kick on more faster the muntys nippy darting about id say once gripped the munty fights mores kicks a lot more 

I see roe ,cwd  just give up and lay down once grabbed but muntys especially bucks will fight and and them tusks deadly bits of kit  

I was reading a old post from 205 about muntjac and it good read and some good lads posting back then ,good few was saying they not see one back then in some areas while others having some great days on them  ,they seem to be in every hedge round my way ? 

1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

I see roe ,cwd  just give up and lay down once grabbed but muntys especially bucks will fight and and them tusks deadly bits of kit  

I was reading a old post from 205 about muntjac and it good read and some good lads posting back then ,good few was saying they not see one back then in some areas while others having some great days on them  ,they seem to be in every hedge round my way ? 

They are a species like no other, CWD are just shit full stop. this i have said a few times over the years, Does will usually run an arc and give in. this is to draw danger away from there suckling, Young bucks will run anything ragged, in and out of anything that might give them the edge, Old buck will find a spot in cover with there back covered and stand and face anything. 

13 hours ago, paulus said:

They are a species like no other, CWD are just shit full stop. this i have said a few times over the years, Does will usually run an arc and give in. this is to draw danger away from there suckling, Young bucks will run anything ragged, in and out of anything that might give them the edge, Old buck will find a spot in cover with there back covered and stand and face anything. 

I've been told chinkys run diffrent on flooded areas but ones I see just give up ,had some good days on muntys but a juk can in trouble with a buk ,they the pit bulls of the deer species 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

I've been told chinkys run diffrent on flooded areas but ones I see just give up ,had some good days on muntys but a juk can in trouble with a buk ,they the pit bulls of the deer species 

My experience of CWD is, there the sheep of the deer world, Thick as f**k and just roll over at any sign of trouble, However there feet stink like shit ? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree about muntys the buck's in particular even though I never run that many seen one that the dog in my pick who took roe and fallow struggle a bit with a buck muntjac some year's in the daytime that turned into an eventful morning with it coming on top with keeper's and the old bill think it was only down to the fact the lad we was with a well known traveller and his tribe of young lad's one who became the Irish Middle weight champion of the world were just glad to see us on our way. Lol 

• Like 2
On 23/11/2022 at 10:27, paulus said:

My experience of CWD is, there the sheep of the deer world, Thick as f**k and just roll over at any sign of trouble, However there feet stink like shit ? 

Get out on flooded water meadows where most of the field is at least ankle deep and your see a totaly different animal ,but your so right about them poxy stinking feet...

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

I think what makes muntys hard to catch is the way they will smash through cover to escape. Get one out in the open (which is rare) and they are easy for most dogs… all the CWD I’ve encountered have been in the open, like where you would see roe. They have probably been the easiest deer to catch IMO as there arnt as fast as roe, and don’t use the cover like a munty. I’ve not had many, but I think every CWD I’ve slipped on, I’ve killed.