Good deer dogs (pure)

19 minutes ago, levigsp said:

I am no expert but the only Azawakh I have seen seem to be bigger dogs, Its difficult to describe the later having bigger chests etc. But I am going from memory and not side by side comparisons.

The only Azawakhs I've seen have been show dogs, and like the majority, bare no resemblance to their working brethren.

Ive long had a hankering to import one of the more "exotic" running breeds, even though our quarry and land would be unsuitable.

Perhaps I'm just an old dreamer and that's why I now persevere with the deerhound crosses, even though my protege assures us that the only runner worth having is the saluki hybrid coursing dog, but I've took him on as my apprentice, and I won't give up on him, however hard it may be......?

Cheers.

• Haha 4

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

The only Azawakhs I've seen have been show dogs, and like the majority, bare no resemblance to their working brethren.

Ive long had a hankering to import one of the more "exotic" running breeds, even though our quarry and land would be unsuitable.

Perhaps I'm just an old dreamer and that's why I now persevere with the deerhound crosses, even though my protege assures us that the only runner worth having is the saluki hybrid coursing dog, but I've took him on as my apprentice, and I won't give up on him, however hard it may be......?

Cheers.

Over the years I fetched dogs from all over and dabbled with running them and breeding LDs from them. My mainstay has been Collie Xs.

My Saluki was used as stud for a few to their bitches in the 70s. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, levigsp said:

Over the years I fetched dogs from all over and dabbled with running them and breeding LDs from them. My mainstay has been Collie Xs.

My Saluki was used as stud for a few to their bitches in the 70s. 

I've imported three dogs, one from Saudi, a Doberman given to me to replace an old Saluki gifted me, It would have been churlish and disrespectful to not have brought it home when I retired.

My daughter was given a miniature Manchester Terrier, born in the Ukraine, given to her in Dubai, taken to Australia, then brought to the UK.

A chihuahua, bought by my missus in Australia when she felt sorry for it in a pet shop window, then brought home.

I was offered one of these pups as a gift by Hamed , but fate conspired to make it impossible to get it home;

IMG_0512.JPG.2fbdb99f6b847992178e2ef707536a7a.JPG

So, out of four dogs, I managed to import three that I could have done without, and missed out on one I would have given my bank managers right testicle to have had ! ??

Such is life......

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I've imported three dogs, one from Saudi, a Doberman given to me to replace an old Saluki gifted me, It would have been churlish and disrespectful to not have brought it home when I retired.

My daughter was given a miniature Manchester Terrier, born in the Ukraine, given to her in Dubai, taken to Australia, then brought to the UK.

A chihuahua, bought by my missus in Australia when she felt sorry for it in a pet shop window, then brought home.

I was offered one of these pups as a gift by Hamed , but fate conspired to make it impossible to get it home;

IMG_0512.JPG.2fbdb99f6b847992178e2ef707536a7a.JPG

So, out of four dogs, I managed to import three that I could have done without, and missed out on one I would have given my bank managers right testicle to have had ! ??

Such is life......

Cheers.

Typical.   Over the years I brought dogs in from in in order- Middle east, North Africa, Romania, USA, South Africa, Ukraine, Germany, Ireland, Slovenia, Croatia and all working bred dogs. I currently have the last three in reverse order.

1 minute ago, levigsp said:

Typical.   Over the years I brought dogs in from in in order- Middle east, North Africa, Romania, USA, South Africa, Ukraine, Germany, Ireland, Slovenia, Croatia and all working bred dogs. I currently have the last three in reverse order.

The mother to my Deer/Grey pup is an Irish coursing greyhound bitch, sired by the Irish coursing champion Mafi Magic, sent over for free for the breeding.

FullSizeRender.jpg.33b84d55b0ff62e915fa48b3851de1e6.jpg

IMG_4406.JPG.58c1e6a85b3e314a4f1ab2875363c02d.JPG

My pal has sent Deerhounds and Teckles over there to lads for free, it works both ways with genuine dog lads ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, New moon said:

Awsome, love the red merle coloration, almost invisible at the right time of day ??

Yes, New Moon, I enjoy the quirky hues and colour variations, that the Merle factor can sometimes throw up in lurchers.. I've had some reet strange looking feckers?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? I've found, that very often, the ideal dog, for the task in hand, is sometimes right on my own doorstep...?

We used to think that with the racing whippets.

We'd mate our bitches with our mates or neighbours dogs, until the availability of transport and communications became available to the average working man, then we saw what we were missing and travelled further afield in search of the best.

Would the coursing dog be what they are now without the saluki imports ?

Cheers.

• Like 2