Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
On 23/05/2022 at 14:54, Budgiesmuggler said:

Talking of deer.. thought I’d have a wonder round the forestry, there’s a large commercial deer stalking/shooting estate where the boundaries aren’t very clear.. What a headache, wasn’t a calm walk at all 

CCDC659F-F59C-4364-A424-D85337768615.jpeg

4EADA790-944C-4310-9ABE-EFCCC243A0AF.jpeg

0C014329-1C24-4C58-9162-1DEF8FCA994A.jpeg

Got a spot like that 5 mins from the house 

On 22/03/2022 at 08:46, South hams hunter said:

if i had to have a pure for deer; just taking roe id have a strong whippet dog but if roe and fallow id have a greyhound

Not being funny but I have a pure whippet bitch 22” and strong for Bitch, could just about hold a muntjac but it would have to be a very small doe roe 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cantona said:

Not being funny but I have a pure whippet bitch 22” and strong for Bitch, could just about hold a muntjac but it would have to be a very small doe roe 

Muntjac strong fcukers for there size ,I remember walking some woodland and me busher taking interest in a wired  area to let saplings grow ,anyway she got in and 2 muntys bolted out some brambles in corner and the runner jumped the wire and pinned one and busher took hold of the other ,fcuk it made some noise qnd dragging her around all over the place and into middle of brambles but luckily the runner smashed in and dealt with it .

Have some fun back in the day running muntys 

Some whippets punch a hell of a lot more,... than their weight...?

I've seen Roe deer taken with all manner of  miscellaneous  roustabout jukels,...and a big strong Whippet, that knows the score and has the desire,...can still sometimes grass them,... no bother?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

There’s a big diff between whippets, iv saw tiny little bitches that genuinely struggled to deal with pinning big ole winter rabbits never mind a hare or roe, but also saw a 20 inch bitch an a few dogs similar size drop roe an even fox never mind hold a big bunny ??

A strong whippet easily take roe ,I seen terriers take them when bushing ,

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

There’s a big diff between whippets, iv saw tiny little bitches that genuinely struggled to deal with pinning big ole winter rabbits never mind a hare or roe, but also saw a 20 inch bitch an a few dogs similar size drop roe an even fox never mind hold a big bunny ??

one type has a goid dollop of grey in em ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cantona said:

I had a 23tts bitch(admit she was a lurcher but over half whippet) that took roe, including bucks, regular.

31 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Snap; can remember seeing a member off here's little whippet cross bitch that used to have to just pin the rabbits because she couldn't carry them.