Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I’d have thought you’d cook a dog? You have to be very careful around here in summer, very hard cracked ground and high temps, with lots of hares, is a recipe for a bad do. 

you could well do on open land one after the other im taking more hedgy land 

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Temperature is still relatively mild in March and April, perfect time to knock over a few 1/4 grown leverets. Plus your can add them to your dogs tally and then come on here and brag about how many hares your young dog has killed. 

Its a win win. ??

you don’t count them ? 

start the count start october until end a feb 

mover 50 first season you’d be happy 

• Haha 1

I won't knock anyone for doing a bit of summer hunting, most of us have done it, especially when young and just starting. I'll take the odd roe or hare during the summer, for the pot.....I like eating them ! Good, wholesome, natural food, and far cheaper than shop bought stuff ?

But be honest about it ; None of this nonsense about "keeping the farmer happy" or "starting off a pup", if you enjoy it, then that's your business, no one else's, I doubt any summer hunter is going to make a difference to my sport !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I won't knock anyone for doing a bit of summer hunting, most of us have done it, especially when young and just starting. I'll take the odd roe or hare during the summer, for the pot.....I like eating them ! Good, wholesome, natural food, and far cheaper than shop bought stuff ?

But be honest about it ; None of this nonsense about "keeping the farmer happy" or "starting off a pup", if you enjoy it, then that's your business, no one else's, I doubt any summer hunter is going to make a difference to my sport !

Cheers.

it’s not nonsense chart i’ll always take pups long mooches summer where they will knock things up learns em loads before the season arrives i don’t have farmers to keep happy 

like your young bitch the more it gets up and mouth on from now until season will do her the world a good ? 

10 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

it’s not nonsense chart i’ll always take pups long mooches summer where they will knock things up learns em loads before the season arrives i don’t have farmers to keep happy 

like your young bitch the more it gets up and mouth on from now until season will do her the world a good ? 

My bitch had a couple of runs on the lamp before the season ended, and no doubt she'll bump into things during my walks in the summer, as the place is lifting with hares and roe, but I'll not be actively looking to work her.

Shell have the summer to mature physically and mentally and learn a few more manners, then be started in September.

Everyone has their own methods, and as I said, I'll not knock anyone ?

Cheers

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, C.green said:

Never really understood that soft hare stuff what does it teach a dog that rabbits dont ? Good hares learn a dog those that aint great dont bring much to the table imo

i’m not talking chasing hares around a desert mate big land i’m talking pups getting hares up on hedgy land we’re hedges thickish etc teaches the dog loads some spots i run if you dog doesn’t have great nose no the tricks is able to smash cover and hunt up it won’t catch nish 

you proberly run one and say will go somewhere else on some spots mate because your dog will get shook off after 30 secs 

5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i’m not talking chasing hares around a desert mate big land i’m talking pups getting hares up on hedgy land we’re hedges thickish etc teaches the dog loads some spots i run if you dog doesn’t have great nose no the tricks is able to smash cover and hunt up it won’t catch nish 

you proberly run one and say will go somewhere else on some spots mate because your dog will get shook off after 30 secs 

I got some of the best field land youve ever seen right on my doorstep its lifting with hares Thats without all the rabbit and muntjac bushing i do ill ask again what does waiting until hares are milky and in shit condition teach a dog on any land ? 

a dog only gets good on the best of hares by learning its style not killing milky does on tuffety grass

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, C.green said:

I got some of the best field land youve ever seen right on my doorstep its lifting with hares Thats without all the rabbit and muntjac bushing i do ill ask again what does waiting until hares are milky and in shit condition teach a dog on any land ? 

a dog only gets good on the best of hares by learning its style not killing milky does on tuffety grass

What do you know about hares ? 

29 minutes ago, C.green said:

i don’t need it to learn how a hare runs that’s the easy part pups learning the tricks how the hare behaves round cover using it’s nose is what i want getting things up 

killing hares on desert a plodder will do that. 

by the time october comes the pup is leaps and bounds infront of a dog that is getting let loose in october 

8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i don’t need it to learn how a hare runs that’s the easy part pups learning the tricks how the hare behaves round cover using it’s nose is what i want getting things up 

killing hares on desert a plodder will do that. 

by the time october comes the pup is leaps and bounds infront of a dog that is getting let loose in october 

You trying to tell me a good days rabbit bushing or muntjac bushing wouldnt do the same but more kills ect ?

Edited by C.green
2 minutes ago, C.green said:

You trying to tell me a good days rabbit bushing or muntjac bushing wouldnt do the same but more kills ect ?

im not trying to tell you anything 

im saying what i do 

how is bushing for muntjac and rabbit the same as running a hare 

Just now, mC HULL said:

im not trying to tell you anything 

im saying what i do 

how is bushing for muntjac and rabbit the same as running a hare 

Your saying using nose cover ect surely just bit of rabbit bashing does same thing ? Dont get me wrong i couldnt care less if someone shot 50 tonight and chucked terriers out on them but cant try making out it does the dog any good surely