Good deer dogs (pure)

On 16/02/2022 at 15:18, SheepChaser said:

The problem with greyhounds has never been the catching or killing. It’s been the staying in one piece ! 

I have never seen or heard of a pure grey lacking prey drive or courage. As soon as you add another breed, that drive and courage is very often diluted  You might add coat, feet, stamina or intelligence  but you risk losing that greyhound dependability on all quarry. Personally I dont think its fair on a greyhound to treat it as a lurcher and expect it to lamp and be a general knockabout lurcher. Sooner or later it will badly injure itself, even if its brought up from a pup as a general hunting dog. I know there are exceptions, but I've seen greys badly injured racing on sand.... so for most greys, injury is inevitable imo, if they are expected to perform as a lurcher.

One virtue of a lurcher vs a greyhound is  that speed is diminished in the lurcher which means immediately you get less injuries.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I have never seen or heard of a pure grey lacking prey drive or courage. As soon as you add another breed, that drive and courage is very often diluted  You might add coat, feet, stamina or intelligence  but you risk losing that greyhound dependability on all quarry. Personally I dont think its fair on a greyhound to treat it as a lurcher and expect it to lamp and be a general knockabout lurcher. Sooner or later it will badly injure itself, even if its brought up from a pup as a general hunting dog. I know there are exceptions, but I've seen greys badly injured racing on sand.... so for most greys, injury is inevitable imo, if they are expected to perform as a lurcher.

One virtue of a lurcher vs a greyhound is  that speed is diminished in the lurcher which means immediately you get less injuries.

Perfect depiction of greys  jukel  ?

On 18/09/2019 at 20:55, BillyBlue said:

what breeds excluding lurchers can work deer in a woodland/plane area, (it is legal where I live btw). I have a Black lab x bull x collie bitch who is rapid on squirrel and rabbit/hare in extremely woody areas, on the east coast there are no speedy lurchers around, the lurchers in the states for the most part are just slow greyhounds with funny coats, no real footing or speed, I would love to be wrong about that tho.

I was thinking of a track bitch or a borzoi but I really don't know so any info would be great.

There are loads of good staghound in the midwest.  Especially around Kansas. That is where most of those dogs went when they closed down the track.

On 10/02/2022 at 11:53, bird said:

He did say that, some of his stags hit 100lb, fast great wind, and coat/feet, and plenty of guts to tackle 30-40 lb yotes. I reckon, one of this put to a greyhound x deer hound would be spot on. You deff need a dog, that can run a deer in the wood, meaning no when to old back at the right time, many a time my big dog gone into Woods nearly flat out, how he don't get hurt feck knows lol, what ever you buy, get it out at a young age to learn it's feild craft = woods, ditches, etc  that way it get used to those. things it will In counter. 

yup, Its easier to them them how to handle themselves at 4 mph than 40 mph.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2022 at 12:35, shaaark said:

Lol, compare that to an aquaintance of my old mate.  Similar sort of scenario, but with two 10 month old salukis, brother and sister.  Slipped the pair of them, ran straight up the beam, and kept running, and running, and running lol, never to be seen again!!  Lol

The fella looked a tad relieved, to be honest lol

My mate bought a saluki x of a well known character sadly now gone that did the same it was still on trial as well that was never seen again either most likely shot as the area was a tad warm at the time we even went day in daylight for a few days nothing no sighting or anything 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

My mate bought a saluki x of a well known character sadly now gone that did the same it was still on trial as well that was never seen again either most likely shot as the area was a tad warm at the time we even went day in daylight for a few days nothing no sighting or anything 

What colour were it mag 

On 10/02/2022 at 18:19, mackem said:

Whitetail are about the same size as fallow, and it's not uncommon to see them feeding in fields and roadsides, I don't think it would be that difficult to get a run. 

Seen quite a few whitetail around near the house, could have had a run on a couple. 

IMG_20220316_184218.jpg

IMG_20220316_184206.jpg