Good deer dogs (pure)

13 hours ago, shaaark said:

I have heard, from an associate, that pure greyhounds were, and have been used, extremely successfully on a variety of deer.

My mate bought a greyhound bitch out of that westmead hawk...planned to breed some 1st crosses 10 yrs back...we went for a lamp down by Glastonbury one night,took this greyhound bitch for a look and our other dogs...we saw our intended quarry and slipped the dogs.. well the greyhound bitch is pulling like f**k...my mate said let her go...she shot off to the left of us and disappeared in to the night? ran down the feild and delt with the quarry...spent the next few hrs walking and calling this bitch...my mates like...it's on the sheep?get a few feilds from the motor and the fog starts coming in...scanning with the lamp and one of the boy says..what's that? It's only the greyhound bitch stood over a nice buck? dog had never been out in the country side or lamping...was a handy bitch do teeth... sadly got killed by 2 bull X's in the back of my mates pick up before we lined her?she's was 11 months old when we took her out...?

• Like 5

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

My mate bought a greyhound bitch out of that westmead hawk...planned to breed some 1st crosses 10 yrs back...we went for a lamp down by Glastonbury one night,took this greyhound bitch for a look and our other dogs...we saw our intended quarry and slipped the dogs.. well the greyhound bitch is pulling like f**k...my mate said let her go...she shot off to the left of us and disappeared in to the night? ran down the feild and delt with the quarry...spent the next few hrs walking and calling this bitch...my mates like...it's on the sheep?get a few feilds from the motor and the fog starts coming in...scanning with the lamp and one of the boy says..what's that? It's only the greyhound bitch stood over a nice buck? dog had never been out in the country side or lamping...was a handy bitch do teeth... sadly got killed by 2 bull X's in the back of my mates pick up before we lined her?she's was 11 months old when we took her out...?

Lol, compare that to an aquaintance of my old mate.  Similar sort of scenario, but with two 10 month old salukis, brother and sister.  Slipped the pair of them, ran straight up the beam, and kept running, and running, and running lol, never to be seen again!!  Lol

The fella looked a tad relieved, to be honest lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I thought bull crosses weren't dog aggressive?

But greyhounds can make handy dogs, had an ex track bitch that my old man gave to me, pulled a few things with her. She was 24 inches and 24kg, tried a brother to her that was a solid lump of a dog and he was the biggest coward going.

She wasn't that hard to train either.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gamerooster said:

I thought bull crosses weren't dog aggressive?

But greyhounds can make handy dogs, had an ex track bitch that my old man gave to me, pulled a few things with her. She was 24 inches and 24kg, tried a brother to her that was a solid lump of a dog and he was the biggest coward going.

She wasn't that hard to train either.

Only owned one dog killer...and that had no bull in it,I've known lads that don't blink an eye when they lose a dog in a kennel fight?...still kennel them in 2's..kiss of death once a dogs started grafting imo?22661226_BlackheartsDogs035.jpg.fcf371a28ab78ead8bdde6ce2caed463.jpg

• Like 2
18 hours ago, shaaark said:

I have heard, from an associate, that pure greyhounds were, and have been used, extremely successfully on a variety of deer.

I had a greyhound bitch many moons ago and she took rabbit hare fox no problem at all to this bitch and lamped her too il tell u a story not take long we were big into out pike fishing one time so we headed out to check this new lake out I said to my mate I take my greyhound bitch with us just incase we put something up going across fields to the lake he said to me watt u talking that thing for its a greyhound well going across the fields 3 hares up 3 hares dead he just look at me and says I didn't think they could hunt and catch anything most don't get the opportunity 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

I had a greyhound bitch many moons ago and she took rabbit hare fox no problem at all to this bitch and lamped her too il tell u a story not take long we were big into out pike fishing one time so we headed out to check this new lake out I said to my mate I take my greyhound bitch with us just incase we put something up going across fields to the lake he said to me watt u talking that thing for its a greyhound well going across the fields 3 hares up 3 hares dead he just look at me and says I didn't think they could hunt and catch anything most don't get the opportunity 

This is the Daughter of that greyhound bitch 

20200205_104224.jpg

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

What did you use over greyhound?

We use to race greyhounds and a friend of ours had a old bitch that a labador got onto so all the pups were given away my good friend took one it turn out a good dog on fox and lamp now thie is true story lads so I give him my greyhound bitch and he put his labador x greyhound over my.greyhound bitch so that bitch in that picture is a genuine three quarter greyhound Lab one of the best lurchers I have owned she killed 38 rabbits 3 hares one nite and could lamp her 4 nite a week 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

We use to race greyhounds and a friend of ours had a old bitch that a labador got onto so all the pups were given away my good friend took one it turn out a good dog on fox and lamp now thie is true story lads so I give him my greyhound bitch and he put his labador x greyhound over my.greyhound bitch so that bitch in that picture is a genuine three quarter greyhound Lab one of the best lurchers I have owned she killed 38 rabbits 3 hares one nite and could lamp her 4 nite a week 

We’re did you use to race if don’t mind me asking