Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, gamerooster said:

If you feed venison to your dogs you're a dessert.

Mine get wagg and stale bread, sometimes an oxo cube on a special occasion.

But why anyone would feed a dog venison is beyond me. 6 quid a kilo, you must be made of money.

Someone wants to pay me £6 a kilo in the skin, they are welcome to it. But last time I checked game dealers were paying £1-£1.50 a kilo, head shot and ladder Gralloched. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

Someone wants to pay me £6 a kilo in the skin, they are welcome to it. But last time I checked game dealers were paying £1-£1.50 a kilo, head shot and ladder Gralloched. 

You could get roe on social media for £25,head/neck shot. 

2 minutes ago, Borr said:

Unless you're going to eat it yourself I guess , and get some dog bones , but not monetary reward no.

Aye obviously you can eat it yourself and give to friends etc. But if you’re doing any serious level of culling these days, you just can’t eat that much meat. There are lads shooting 700 plus fallow deer a year. Thats a serious amount of meat! 

• Like 1

Never been interested in money for game meat.

I'd rather barter it or give it to family, friends and neighbours.

My brother is a keen fisherman, both coarse and sea, so, a rabbit, hare or bit of venison gets me trout, cod, mackerel, herring, etc.

I can give a bit of meat to lads at the Allotments and get game birds, eggs or chicks.

Also, it's just nice to have something in the plus column, give the pensioners some eggs, bit of meat, few veg, and nothing in return ?

You have your sport, and you fill your freezer.......win-win !

Cheers.

• Like 13
20 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Speed don't mean f**k all if there's nothing to bounce them off for most fallow, doesn't take balls either. Big deer are a skill, seen dogs that won't take fox take fallow

Will make it look slow, don't mean it'll grass it. Big fallow are like halfway between a horse and a cow. They take stopping 

Don’t know about horses but I herd a rumour that cows get stopped a lot easier than you think. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Never been interested in money for game meat.

I'd rather barter it or give it to family, friends and neighbours.

My brother is a keen fisherman, both coarse and sea, so, a rabbit, hare or bit of venison gets me trout, cod, mackerel, herring, etc.

I can give a bit of meat to lads at the Allotments and get game birds, eggs or chicks.

Also, it's just nice to have something in the plus column, give the pensioners some eggs, bit of meat, few veg, and nothing in return ?

You have your sport, and you fill your freezer.......win-win !

Cheers.

I also like 2 feed the poor and needy when I can although if they were relying on me they'd starve 2 feck