Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

I think the best ones running wise at this time of year are them water deer. Went daylight and blanked but they wernt folding like ive seen them do in the past ive allways thought they were the easiest but apparently not.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ?

Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it just didn't seem to matter,.. they,  either learn the ropes and stayed in one piece, or feck it, shit happens, tough luck kinda thing...?

Nowadays, I am far more soft-hearted, and I always try to avoid that dangerous old game,.. facts are, I'm fortunate in that I have many other, far easier options.

Its curious, but ever since I first started to meet other lurcher guys, there has always been this macho thing, with regards to the taking of deer. Truth is, it isn't really a big deal, but it is seemingly an obligatory phase of lurcher work, that many of us,.. have to go through..

Go careful now....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 15
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Big Ron said:

Sorry mate if I’m being bit thick here , but what are you showing there ? Don’t say that dark bit of skin about an inch from the eye ffs ?

if look inch from eye and underneath the eye bottom of dogs jaw same there just little puncher wounds from canine teeth i sent me pal pic he wasn’t having it the dog got marked ? he’d seen her do a few without a scratch i didn’t do many like with her nearly all  good size daytime in 5 seasons 30 odd but only misses a handful of what it went on they not what i go out for  ?lads would think i was mental when she set off after em finish them without a mark on her some funny days ? 

that day few men from manchester were up 

Edited by mC HULL
5 hours ago, Big Ron said:

Loads of really sporting chaps on here , old big Ron must be non sporting and have shit dogs as when I was in the catching deer game I wouldn’t care if they hit fences , trees , caught in the open or caught the number 57 bus to my front door as long as I caught them and they ended in my freezer ? you got to keep it honest and believable lads ?  now bucks and stags in the rut  are a different thing and this is sport of kings ? but they still didn’t get the 100 yard slip McCUll  ? we only used 1 or 2 dogs at most before you start and no motors helped ?,but this was all pre ban now 

old Ron has been very productive on here this morning after coffee and exercising hounds ?

100 yard slip i’ll let  go at 400yds and it’s bingo ?

normally dog going to a few and one will peel off i’m not taking big red stags or big fallow bucks took a big red hind once 2001 with a little bitza got it out the lamp made a mess how it took that i’ll never know 

29 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Ffs big ron it's heads like a balloon 

you been running big lumps a wood to long blacky ? only types i seen need antibiotic every time out and have heads like balloons are bull x ? ? big 35 kg dogs from fighting lineage ?  getting marked up like fack from something 30kg lighter ? 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, C.green said:

I think the best ones running wise at this time of year are them water deer. Went daylight and blanked but they wernt folding like ive seen them do in the past ive allways thought they were the easiest but apparently not.

nippy  little things good eating get a good little course from em 

37 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you been running big lumps a wood to long blacky ? only types i seen need antibiotic every time out and have heads like balloons are bull x ? ? big 35 kg dogs from fighting lineage ?  getting marked up like fack from something 30kg lighter ? 

Them rabbits can go abit in the rut u know 

The pup got her first bit of "wire rash" the other night, on her first slip.

FullSizeRender.jpg.f69555e7532aab6e332467d9f6a97b66.jpg

Staight down the beam, turned it once and through a wire fence. You could hear the twang in the next county !

Didnt faze her and put in another couple of bends before losing it in a woods. 

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, C.green said:

Them chinks can shift and are good fun they ain't no slouch. Do like a good do on the CWD. 

For me roe on big open land are a good run

• Like 1