Good deer dogs (pure)

what breeds excluding lurchers can work deer in a woodland/plane area, (it is legal where I live btw). I have a Black lab x bull x collie bitch who is rapid on squirrel and rabbit/hare in extremely woody areas, on the east coast there are no speedy lurchers around, the lurchers in the states for the most part are just slow greyhounds with funny coats, no real footing or speed, I would love to be wrong about that tho.

I was thinking of a track bitch or a borzoi but I really don't know so any info would be great.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

• 2 years later...
On 18/09/2019 at 22:55, BillyBlue said:

what breeds excluding lurchers can work deer in a woodland/plane area, (it is legal where I live btw). I have a Black lab x bull x collie bitch who is rapid on squirrel and rabbit/hare in extremely woody areas, on the east coast there are no speedy lurchers around, the lurchers in the states for the most part are just slow greyhounds with funny coats, no real footing or speed, I would love to be wrong about that tho.

I was thinking of a track bitch or a borzoi but I really don't know so any info would be great.

Where on the east coast are ye? I just got two lurcher pups, collie hound an bull hound there this past summer imported from home(Ireland)

32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

The honey badger ? but I’m pretty sure Dan said the deer where a diff ball game again

He did say that, some of his stags hit 100lb, fast great wind, and coat/feet, and plenty of guts to tackle 30-40 lb yotes. I reckon, one of this put to a greyhound x deer hound would be spot on. You deff need a dog, that can run a deer in the wood, meaning no when to old back at the right time, many a time my big dog gone into Woods nearly flat out, how he don't get hurt feck knows lol, what ever you buy, get it out at a young age to learn it's feild craft = woods, ditches, etc  that way it get used to those. things it will In counter. 

• Like 1

Most deer caught in woods are unlucky. They either get pushed into the dog by another dog, break too late and get pulled over in a few yards as they break from cover or happen to run across a track or ride at the wrong moment, or just run into something. Only a few are coursed flat out through the woods and pulled over as would be in an open field. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1