Hounds on boar in Spain

Hi all, this is just to put the feelers out and see if it's viable and/or possible.

We are interested in bringing a small pack of hounds over to work boar probably for 3 days of hunting. 

They must be strange dog friendly, as the plan is to flush to standing pegs with lads and their catch dogs.

Packs don't have to be too big,  as long as they are fast at their job and can put constant pressure on. No need to bay or catch.

If you are interested (or know someone who is) in a bit of boar hunting abroad with your couples, then let me know ;)

Edited to add;

If this is interesting send me a PM and we will take the conversation off the site to WhatsApp or email?

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'd be surprised how it rubs off on you ? I have to admit... the other day, I took a two hour lunch, had a 3 course meal with wine, went back to work and did fuuck all ?

I don't think there will be many private pack racing across to hunt boar as if like are own if they hunt anything other that fox they wouldn't be here long but I know a local foxhound pack to me had a

As you know from the last trip, it was a great experience and bloody good fun but none of our  dogs knew what they were hunting for!! Lol I think J's dog hit 1.8km on the garmin at one point then

5 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Wouldn't imagine there's many that will hunt boar? I've no clue maybe they introduce them to skin carcass prior to coming etc, I wanted to get in a training pen in France prior to last trip but didn't come off, be interested to here what hound boys say...

I was thinking it would be more interesting to private foot packs. Not the established fox trail runners.

P.S. forgot to add; the land has fox also, which can be hunted. Deer etc are off limits, unless someone wants to pay for the ticket ;)

• Like 1

I don't think there will be many private pack racing across to hunt boar as if like are own if they hunt anything other that fox they wouldn't be here long but I know a local foxhound pack to me had a great 14 mile hunt at a unbelievable pace they thought it had went to ground in a rock pile only to find out it was a billy goat lol I could get you there number

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As you know from the last trip, it was a great experience and bloody good fun but none of our  dogs knew what they were hunting for!! Lol

I think J's dog hit 1.8km on the garmin at one point then we realised it was tracking a fox!

One of the bullcrosses had a run on an Ibex (which would of cost a fortune if it had got caught!) and when a Roe broke cover all hell let loose!!

The lads with dogs doing it already that might lead the others don't need to go all the way to spain to get another!

Saying That, if i had the dog to do it with still, I'd probably have another crack!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, milliken said:

is there no packs local that hunt boar I'm sure France is full of them

Problem is the packs are very territorial and will attack other dogs. They are used to standing shooters. Not some Brit with his dog on a slip ?

Hound packs (especially from Blighty) tend to be far more accepting of other dogs about ;)

Edited to add;

The flush packs here, that he uses regularly are top notch at their game but will tear into strange dogs. Not the best scenario when blokes want to slip their charge at the passing pig.

Edited by mushroom
30 minutes ago, bullmastiff said:

As you know from the last trip, it was a great experience and bloody good fun but none of our  dogs knew what they were hunting for!! Lol

I think J's dog hit 1.8km on the garmin at one point then we realised it was tracking a fox!

One of the bullcrosses had a run on an Ibex (which would of cost a fortune if it had got caught!) and when a Roe broke cover all hell let loose!!

The lads with dogs doing it already that might lead the others don't need to go all the way to spain to get another!

Saying That, if i had the dog to do it with still, I'd probably have another crack!

I'm sure a carcass shown to them beforehand will give them an idea.

Aye I had a roe run straight past me that day, I could've grabbed it with my hands lol

And that ibex would've been a very expensive day out ? I would've chipped in mind ;)

8 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Can I hunt one with a spear ,

in just a loin cloth 

If you pay your dues, then I guess so... it might be a bit detrimental to the other lads hunting but I guess you can be the flush dog with a spear ?

If you’ve got pack hunting foxes or deer or whatever your not gone get them to pick boar over there intended quarry , it’s not gone happen they might flush the boar while speaking on fox , I spent two days in Spain chasing my little hound cross on foxes never mind a full packs of hounds that have only ever hunted fox or deer 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

If you’ve got pack hunting foxes or deer or whatever your not gone get them to pick boar over there intended quarry , it’s not gone happen they might flush the boar while speaking on fox , I spent two days in Spain chasing my little hound cross on foxes never mind a full packs of hounds that have only ever hunted fox or deer 

That wee thing one its job ?

If there is a load of dogs running through, the boar will move. I guess it doesn't matter if they are on boar or deer or fox. They ain't going to sit tight while a pack of predators comes crashing through ;)

1 hour ago, mushroom said:

That wee thing one its job ?

If there is a load of dogs running through, the boar will move. I guess it doesn't matter if they are on boar or deer or fox. They ain't going to sit tight while a pack of predators comes crashing through ;)

Makes sense, but with the hounds here, if a boar is lifted and flushed to guns, the 1st thing to do is collect up hounds and head straight back to the same spot as they do sit quite tight, maybe as they are used to the sketch? Troop of boars are hunted from district to district here (or 'chasse' to 'chasse').

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Waz said:

Makes sense, but with the hounds here, if a boar is lifted and flushed to guns, the 1st thing to do is collect up hounds and head straight back to the same spot as they do sit quite tight, maybe as they are used to the sketch? Troop of boars are hunted from district to district here (or 'chasse' to 'chasse').

Aye here it's a bit diff. The dogs push boar and that's it. The whipper in (for want of a better word) walks the dogs and directs but not with as much input. The dogs do their job and the shooters are so widely spaced they can do theirs.

• Like 1