UK first!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you may have already seen this video as it has built up quite a bit of traction online. To set the scene I was fishing on my own - as I often do, on my 16ft Orkney 520. Intended target was por

Not that old chestnut ??

Fuucking nuts letting that beauty go. I'd have had it quartered, sliced up and sat on plate, sashimi style. Fuuck yes, a bit of lime, wasabi and soy, sided with some nice greens and coconut sticky ric

Enjoyed that mate don't think my back would stand up to that these days Lol. Fare play good fishing.

Are they getting more common ?

I know years ago there was a Tuna fishery but a lot further south I think.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Arry said:

Enjoyed that mate don't think my back would stand up to that these days Lol. Fare play good fishing.

Cheers Arry

They have returned consistently for around 4-5 years now. Hopefully we can campaign to have them protected under a catch and release fishery. ?????

• Like 3

Fuucking nuts letting that beauty go. I'd have had it quartered, sliced up and sat on plate, sashimi style. Fuuck yes, a bit of lime, wasabi and soy, sided with some nice greens and coconut sticky rice...

And that's before I've returned to shore ?

• Haha 4
On 19/09/2019 at 09:30, Arry said:

Cheers Arry

Years gone by there were more tuna around but sadly commercial pressure saw them really decline. You say a lot further south? You cannot go much further south from me and still be in the UK. ?

11 hours ago, The Fishlocker said:

Years gone by there were more tuna around but sadly commercial pressure saw them really decline. You say a lot further south? You cannot go much further south from me and still be in the UK. ?

look up Tunny. They had a fairly viable fishery out of Scarborough in the 1930's

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45799453

I suspect that the reason it declined was more linked to the herring industry than directly catching tuna.

11 hours ago, The Fishlocker said:

It was a comical fishery mate down around Bay of Biscay I believe, Spanish and Portuguese rod and line. Our boats went down and upset them using gill nets and longlines. I think it was resolved when we left them to it.

I seen film of people fishing for them in the North Sea when there were still Herrings were still around. 

I know your area as I was on a fishing boat Gurdying for Mackerel back in the 70's when the Scottish purse seiners came down and finished that off out of Falmouth mate. 

Thanks for sharing your videos with us. I like to say as well I like your conservation style of approach and long may you have your fishing because of it.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Arry said:

It was a comical fishery mate down around Bay of Biscay I believe, Spanish and Portuguese rod and line. Our boats went down and upset them using gill nets and longlines. I think it was resolved when we left them to it.

I seen film of people fishing for them in the North Sea when there were still Herrings were still around. 

I know your area as I was on a fishing boat Gurdying for Mackerel back in the 70's when the Scottish purse seiners came down and finished that off out of Falmouth mate. 

Thanks for sharing your videos with us. I like to say as well I like your conservation style of approach and long may you have your fishing because of it.

Cheers Arry

Thankyou very much Arry, I do find that quite amusing. Us going down and upsetting the french and Spanish by fishing in their waters. ?

• Like 1

Great video and what a fish!!

Was sharking out of Plymouth 2 years back and the sea was alive with tuna and dolphins...

We could have a thriving sport fishing scene here in a few years time, the west coast of Ireland have had some good success...here in the southwest could be just as good...maybe better with our already experienced charter skippers??

But to do it 1 handed in a small boat...hats off mate, great fishing!!

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Great video and what a fish!!

Was sharking out of Plymouth 2 years back and the sea was alive with tuna and dolphins...

We could have a thriving sport fishing scene here in a few years time, the west coast of Ireland have had some good success...here in the southwest could be just as good...maybe better with our already experienced charter skippers??

But to do it 1 handed in a small boat...hats off mate, great fishing!!

That is one of the things that is actually slightly lacking over here is enough experienced charter skippers to do it properly. And not just have the kit to do it. That isn’t a big headed dig or anything, it’s a fishery that we didn’t have until now and unless the skippers have spent time in other countries fishing/skippering how would they have the experience? 
On the other hand we have a skipper local to us that is an absolute liability. He’s been given advice from the actual experts and tagging teams and still thinks he knows best. ??‍♂️

Edited by The Fishlocker
Spelling error
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, The Fishlocker said:

That is one of the things that is actually slightly lacking over here is enough experienced charter skippers to do it properly. And not just have the kit to do it. That isn’t a big headed dig or anything, it’s a fishery that we didn’t have until now and unless the skippers have spent time in other countries fishing/skippering how would they have the experience? 
On the other hand we have a skipper local to us that is an absolute liability. He’s been given advice from the actual experts and tagging teams and still thinks he knows best. ??‍♂️

I meant experienced fleet as in quite a few decent skippers with years of experience in our waters....ageed it's a new learning curve regards methods, catch and release, tagging etc...perhaps as you point out our skippers are too set in their ways to change from drifting a wreck or sharking...there is a real opportunity for forward thinking skippers now though...as you know the tuna are here in numbers every year now....

Could be a very profitable venture if done well

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

I meant experienced fleet as in quite a few decent skippers with years of experience in our waters....ageed it's a new learning curve regards methods, catch and release, tagging etc...perhaps as you point out our skippers are too set in their ways to change from drifting a wreck or sharking...there is a real opportunity for forward thinking skippers now though...as you know the tuna are here in numbers every year now....

Could be a very profitable venture if done well

Agree we have some awesome skippers, hopefully most of the bad ones have gone but sure some still in business as FL pointed out.

the fly in your ointment is were not allowed to target them and certainly no quota for the uk, if that changed it could indeed be a very good business., plenty of boats been going out west from Ireland for many years now.

i am down near padstow next week but looks like all hopes of getting my boat out are scuppered by the wind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Rabid said:

Agree we have some awesome skippers, hopefully most of the bad ones have gone but sure some still in business as FL pointed out.

the fly in your ointment is were not allowed to target them and certainly no quota for the uk, if that changed it could indeed be a very good business., plenty of boats been going out west from Ireland for many years now.

i am down near padstow next week but looks like all hopes of getting my boat out are scuppered by the wind.

Yeah realise it's out of bounds at the minute mate, but I'm sure if the correct proposal was put forward with conservation in mind, the possible new revenue it would generate would probably be passed...as you say the west coast of Ireland is starting to get real momentum now...

I've been out with some very good skippers down this way over the years, probably the best of them for me is Dave Harrison, Gemini out of Dartmouth...not been out with him for a good few years, but hes a knowledgeable, hard working skipper...always got us on fish.... there are loads like him...

Its rough down here this week mate... good lamping weather...shit boating weather though!!

Good luck if you get out, be some decent bass about now!!

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2