steel vs brass wire

I use both,  Brass is really  the best without a doubt for Peg  and Fence Snaring but I had a spate of using Steel Wire which is cheap ,effective ,, quick to make and fast to set against it is , you only get one catch and you have to replace the Wire , its too Strong [you may catch and hold something  you don't want , you cannot knot it a bend is forever and you have to use a short Tealer to  keep the wire stable and adjust the Loop so to me STEEL WIRE  as its uses  but for Rabbits it is Brass all the way 

On the US sites a lot of States stipulate what  Metal and Noose  size can be used for Game / Vermin  some states just leave it you others call for Brass Wire  for Rabbits and Hares also the Noose must not exceed 3inches ! now I could not get my Fist in that but they often show bags of Hares often Foul caught and always dead  there is even one film clip of a Snowshoe Hare constantly Bouncing off a Snare , this makes me think that  " Things  ain't what they seem " . In the end it is down to the individual !if it works for you do it  BUT always listen to the men who do it WELL.

The last Picture is a Steel Wire  Peg snare I made ………..it worked  but I never bothered with any more 

DSCF2233.JPG.7f74c2c1dd878e986788cfc16aa813e3.JPG

DSCF2226.JPG

SUNP0042.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you can better the brass wire for rabbits and hares.:clapper:

As a material to work with, it is incredibly malleable and shapes easily,..it is also great for putting tension into a snare.?

The steel wire seems to be popular with the American snare men,....but our quarry species over here are completely different...

• Like 1