Hunting Rhino Poachers with Hounds in South Africa

1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

Your probably 100% right greyman but I’d of thought if a poacher got himself a bit of a vantage point like the man in the photo up the tree then he could pretty much do away with all them dogs in one sitting. Do a lot of these poachers not be armed with AKs? 

Pump action Remmy with five loads of AAA or SSG would be my weapon if choice.

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/09/texan-hounds-fight-rhino-poaching/ I've been following this project via Ivan Carter's posts since it's inception.    

I also read that they are training one bitch hound, Ruby, to find the orphaned rhino calves after a mother has been killed, so they can save it and rehabilitate it for release as an adult. It's r

I've done a bit of that. Treed a coon at Woodall Services and another one at Maltby. Not quite the Serengeti, but it got a bit wild outside the Maltby Catholic club on  Saturday night    ?

Posted Images

6 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

They should be good at hunting them I mean dogs like chocolate don’t they 

Well they are coonhounds! Good article that, though the bit about the dogs being trained to be less aggressive puzzled me as for the South Africans I know the sharper the dog the better! Has H&S found it's way to the Kruger?

• Like 1

ivan.carter
So proud of the free running hounds @wildlifecollege arrested another two poachers yesterday and seized the gun they were using - since we got them to Aftica from Texas in June this solution has been spectacular and has led to the arrest of well over 60 poachers and the best part is that most commonly they are arrested BEFORE they kill a #rhino - operating on Kruger where the largest remaining free range population of rhino exist the future of our rhinos is that little more secure thanks to this solution and the great people who deploy it #itsworthsaving #houndsofinstagram #antipoaching #rhino

ivan.carter
HOW MANY POACHERS DO YOU CATCH TODAY ??! - Ready to run ! That’s our free running pack dogs ! Having caught over 60 poachers and confiscated 25 firearms these dogs have had a 70% success rate in the last three months - so proud to partner with the @wildlifecollege in this project and thank you to all the supporters who have allowed us to bring this dream to reality #itsworthsaving #conservation #antipoaching

I also read that they are training one bitch hound, Ruby, to find the orphaned rhino calves after a mother has been killed, so they can save it and rehabilitate it for release as an adult.

It's really good stuff, proper conservation.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 7

This is the lion relocation to Mozambique I mentioned. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/05/mozambique-spirit-lion-relocation/

Hunting conservation! Largest lion reintroduction ever, not funded by plastic conservationists on social media or even photo safari tourism!

• Like 1
On 16/09/2019 at 21:10, Nicepix said:

Pump action Remmy with five loads of AAA or SSG would be my weapon if choice.

ye i was thinking the same , as soon as the dog or dogs are close by, he just swing round with the gun they drop the rhino  with i might be wrong here  but the only hound breed that are  naturally  man aggressive  are the (Fila )  there banned over here in the UK.  There big powerful dogs ,  bloodhound x  mastiff   of very old lines , ok like any dog they soon get shot as  we said, but i reckon they deff go in quick on any man , say   5-6 dogs 27 in  110lb   hitting you quick , you be in big trouble. i did think i saw one about  9 year ago, by where i used to live. it was fawn colour , just like big blood hound , the bloke had it on long lead, never came to close to me with bryn, he said it was mastiff x lab,  bloody nasty thing it was. it had longer ears than any lab or mastiff i ever seen, said he got it from London , it looked like a Fila to me any way , wouldn't want  it chasing me anyway . lol 

3 hours ago, mushroom said:

There's a Fila near me and it is massive. Friendly enough but I wouldn't fuuck with it.

yeh mush,  not dogs to mess with, i read on the web, that man aggression  , part of the dogs temp, and they breed for it . that thing i saw looked dangerous, was bad enough me having colliexkelpie x grey bitch , she ws only  50lb  23 in, bloody strong as well, but  would bite a ny fecker if they came to close to me ,  i was on edge all the while  deff no good mate , somthing big as them a fila    be nightmare , prob why they banned over here, having soft dogs like ive got  make you release  how lucky i am more so big dog like Buck is glad he wimp  lol 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

How do the dogs no what person is or isn’t the poacher,wf

I suspect they're slipped on an active poaching event, rather than just loosed randomly everyday. Also this is in the bush, I doubt there should be anyone kicking around unless up to no good. Finally, it's Africa.... not health and safety mad Britain! LOL

• Haha 1

Talking of guns, I've done a bit of research. Seems 90% of the poachers in the Kruger are using CZ bolt action rifles in either .375 or .416. These have been smuggled in as part of a huge organised crime operation specifically to equip poachers!

Given these have a slow rate of fire, limited capacity, limited range and heavy recoil even in the best circumstance it's not the best defensive weapon against a pack of hounds. Purely speculation now but I'd imagine two or three couple of those hounds flying through the bush with intent to do harm gives next to f**k all opportunity to defend yourself with your weapon. It's a case of get up the nearest tree asap, and for that both hands are usually required. Then the armed cavalry (helo and bikes) rock up to back the hounds up and end things.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

How do the dogs no what person is or isn’t the poacher,wf

Basically anybody in front of the dog's handler is fair game. They just have to make only the bad guys are in front of them. It can go wrong.

This is a few years old now, but it gives you some idea of the power of a 30kg dog...

5 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Basically anybody in front of the dog's handler is fair game. They just have to make only the bad guys are in front of them. It can go wrong.

This is a few years old now, but it gives you some idea of the power of a 30kg dog...

50 seconds in a dog grabs its own handlers hand ??