Hunting Rhino Poachers with Hounds in South Africa

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/09/texan-hounds-fight-rhino-poaching/

I've been following this project via Ivan Carter's posts since it's inception.

“After taking off the tackle suit, the man was full of bruises,” he says. “I called Theresa and said, ‘Do we really want to go this way? We are going to kill people!’”

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/09/texan-hounds-fight-rhino-poaching/ I've been following this project via Ivan Carter's posts since it's inception.    

I also read that they are training one bitch hound, Ruby, to find the orphaned rhino calves after a mother has been killed, so they can save it and rehabilitate it for release as an adult. It's r

I've done a bit of that. Treed a coon at Woodall Services and another one at Maltby. Not quite the Serengeti, but it got a bit wild outside the Maltby Catholic club on  Saturday night    ?

Posted Images

Why stop at poachers....you could probably have some good fun lamping your local crack head shed burglar - might need something with a bit of speed and agility to get over the garden fences after them though lol

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Surely there’ll be a high death rate amongst them dogs as I’m sure the poachers are well armed and will be shooting the dogs as soon as they are in range. 

I remember reading about one of the early live ops with these hounds and they opted for softer hounds because they weren’t sure if those they were hunting were women or youngsters and consequently turned out to be adult men who killed a few hounds. I think the aggression is absolutely essential. Also pretty sure poachers have shite weapons so it mitigates a little how deadly to the hounds they might be.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Surely there’ll be a high death rate amongst them dogs as I’m sure the poachers are well armed and will be shooting the dogs as soon as they are in range. 

Rambo didn't need a gun. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Think shooting a moving dog with a single shot bolt action lee Enfield whilst his mates are making up ground on you fast ain’t really an option, would also think that once word of the dogs gets out poachers will probably avoid the area because like most thieves they are always looking for an easy target ??

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Think shooting a moving dog with a single shot bolt action lee Enfield whilst his mates are making up ground on you fast ain’t really an option, would also think that once word of the dogs gets out poachers will probably avoid the area because like most thieves they are always looking for an easy target ??

Your probably 100% right greyman but I’d of thought if a poacher got himself a bit of a vantage point like the man in the photo up the tree then he could pretty much do away with all them dogs in one sitting. Do a lot of these poachers not be armed with AKs? 

• Like 1