Testing times!

Last night was a disaster!

I missed two fox's! One a rested 100yds and one off hand at 70ish.

I know I raved about these 50 GRN wmr by federal but with what looks like a CCI bullet when I first got them but just recently I noticed some velocity fluctuations. So I went to the old marl pit which is about 100yds wide and did some testing, it revealed a few things.

First, the 50grn loads by federal contain low performing rounds, so much so a couple per ten can be low by 6" !

I shot the rest off and sure enough I decided I am best rid of them.

I tested the hornady vmax and the federal with a Speer 30grn bullet and they have no issues. Same with the vintage Winchester I recently got.

I shot rested and off hand, it was not me! So that is reassuring. I also tested with mod on and off. No difference except for shooting an inch or so high with it off except for the fifty GRN load, that shot higher with the mod on. All in all it has little effect. I left it off.

If nothing else it was practice, which is never bad. It's been a rifle weekend for me. About 250 22lr and 75 wmr.

IMG_20190915_160701.jpg.fef5975b68b29e40f09af1414f992b09.jpg

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 8

That's interesting!  50g is still on the heavy side for WMR (IMHO) but that variation is a bit off.

Federal have their days, I wonder if this is normal or just a batch!? :hmm:

As I've said before, my last WMR liked the CCI 40g HP, but my latest just loves the 30g Hornady V-Max, very different ammo but good results from both!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
16 minutes ago, Deker said:

That's interesting!  50g is still on the heavy side for WMR (IMHO) but that variation is a bit off.

Federal have their days, I wonder if this is normal or just a batch!? :hmm:

As I've said before, my last WMR liked the CCI 40g HP, but my latest just loves the 30g Hornady V-Max, very different ammo but good results from both!

:thumbs:

The 50s don't like expanding much. Good if you want deep penetration but not much use in the UK except rabbits for the table. The other issue is they or this batch fill the mod with unburnt powder which IMO is a symptom of something not quite right! I noticed recently that clumps of unburnt fuel would partially obscure the center of the mod, that has to upset a following shot!

It was worth a try I guess but for sure they offer nothing over the 40&30 grain offerings. Even the H 25gr NTX is better and that's entering savage mouse rifle territory.

Federal needs to use a better powder me thinks and then it may be a better out come.

1 hour ago, ianm said:

If i had missed one i would of packed up and gone home, then spent the next day trying to sort out what went wrong.

Two misses would have left me suicidal which is why i would of gone home.?

After the first shot I switched ammo, adjusted the turret to zero, shot two rounds at a concrete post in a safe area at 100+. Good to go. 

I must of cocked it up on the second fox.

My right eye has a stigmatism or something like that. It is quiet difficult at night to get the focus right. I have to adjust for nearly every shot these days and if I forget like at night sneaking up on Charlie I find myself struggling for definition despite an IR reticle.

Feel like giving up to be honest and just take a look about with a shotgun. If it don't come in to a squeak let it be....

A worthwhile exercise SD. At least you know where you stand performance wise with regards to the ammo you have. The amount of .22’s I’ve got through over the years, just trying out different brands and types. Many I’ve found to be crap, so I plink them off for practice if I don’t consider them of serious use to me. The good ones I use for live quarry. Trouble is, I  like to try something different if I come across it, and it’s often poor. Sometimes though, surprisingly good.?

• Like 1