Scottish weather

How depressing is it to live in Scotland ?  It seems that every day the weather forecast shows horrible weather. Gale force winds horizontal rain and the short hours of light in the winter. Today down south it has been so hot with a pure Blue sky. Down here, Most of the summer has really felt like being out in Spain or Greece with temps up in the 30s. Roll on global warming. and having an Aus style BBQ on Christmas day. Still I  suppose some people like sitting in cold wet clothes huddled around a peat fire in the middle of summer.

• Haha 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll agree with you there, there is a massive problem in the cities on the mainland, hence why I really only go mainlanding when I need stuff I canny get sent. The other hand, we don't have a doo

aye its a shithole ???weathers shite 

love the place....just wish it wasn't a 12 hr drive up there?best place I've ever been,just knock a door and they let you on to fill your boots ..... not been up for a few yrs but will be taking

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Meece said:

How depressing is it to live in Scotland ?  It seems that every day the weather forecast shows horrible weather. Gale force winds horizontal rain and the short hours of light in the winter. Today down south it has been so hot with a pure Blue sky. Down here, Most of the summer has really felt like being out in Spain or Greece with temps up in the 30s. Roll on global warming. and having an Aus style BBQ on Christmas day. Still I  suppose some people like sitting in cold wet clothes huddled around a peat fire in the middle of summer.

Gretna green , the Solway coast , the a75 and all those wee towns off the side of it. With old fashioned cottages half the price of England and none of the shite that goes with it. The Galloway forest , 7 Stanes bike trails , the debatable lands , common ridings , the a7 to Edinburgh , the a1 to Edinburgh Berwick , Moffat toffee , leadhills,  Glasgow , Celtic , Rangers , sauchiehall street , Edinburgh, the Witchery hotel ,mulligans , the black bull bar , old town embra, 

all that’s just over an hour from the border , better than sitting in traffic on the a12 looking at the back of a Chelmsford brickes van on a Friday tea time. 

Go on , you might like it ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

God’s country. Wouldn’t swap it for anywhere else in the world. In less than an hour I can be in some of the most beautiful land in the world, and not see another soul all day. Weather just makes us more resilient. Not a place for ‘men’ who’d moan and complain about it so maybe best you stay down South.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Meece said:

I really hate to say it but as I get older I dislike the hot weather more and more, love the spring and autumn and with modern clothing find myself out and about more and more in really bad weather just because I no I won’t be bumping  into anyone else, the only thing I do struggle with is the shorter daylight hours but I think for me the beauty and wilderness far out way a bit of bad weather and if the wife was willing I’d be gone tomorrow 

• Like 6

Love living here! Don't mind the weather, there's no such thing as bad weather, you've just not the right clothing ? Maybe long dark days in winter but 24 hour sun in summer, I prefer the winters as the heebiejeebies don't bother ye ?

Some beautiful landscape to hunt too, a certain lack of populas and traffic too ?

I actually melt above 16c too ?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, ginger beard said:

It's lovely if you like stepping over used needles and smashed alcohol bottles.

Smack head country of the world.

I'll agree with you there, there is a massive problem in the cities on the mainland, hence why I really only go mainlanding when I need stuff I canny get sent.

The other hand, we don't have a door key, car keys are left in the cars, in case anyone wants to borrow them, wife left her purse on the car roof and was still there in the morning! Scotland is a big place, living here (Eilean Siar) is like going back in time 50 years.

I have the Atlantic out my front door, river down the hill, moorland, grassland and peat at the back, all I have is fresh meat and fish and fuel for free. We've a 38'x16' polytunnel for veg/fruit, its food for free, but each to they're own, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Any city I'd avoid though.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, big sid said:

prick

Why am I a prick? Just my opinion. I spent half my childhood and youth going to Scotland for the fishing and shooting, in fact right up to my thirties. 

I have just formed the opinion that sport, pubs and food is better in England. Its only the same as someone else saying they love Scotland. Iv spent feckin a thousand hours freezing on Scottish marshes watching geese three mile up with cowboys takin pot shots. While goose guides top up their dole money. Or paying to sit on a duck pond knowing nothings coming. We had loads of shooting back home but just wanted lads adventure trips away, iv been ripped off more in Scotland than anywhere. Give me a flight on the wash or morecambe Bay any day. 

There's some good breweries Scotland but try getting a pint of real ale anywhere. 

Have you ever eaten a scottish pie ?

England were once playing Ireland, and all the jock pubs were full of Irish flags. 

Went for a week in the Highlands last year, full of tourists and all the shops and bars were staffed with Eastern Europeans. Visited the Isle of skye, the main town listed it's war memorial as as a tourist attraction. 

All them deer and no staghounds, the fck is that all about ? 

Bag of wank. Give me the west country and exmoor any day. 

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Why am I a prick? Just my opinion. I spent half my childhood and youth going to Scotland for the fishing and shooting, in fact right up to my thirties. 

I have just formed the opinion that sport, pubs and food is better in England. Its only the same as someone else saying they love Scotland. Iv spent feckin a thousand hours freezing on Scottish marshes watching geese three mile up with cowboys takin pot shots. While goose guides top up their dole money. Or paying to sit on a duck pond knowing nothings coming. We had loads of shooting back home but just wanted lads adventure trips away, iv been ripped off more in Scotland than anywhere. Give me a flight on the wash or morecambe Bay any day. 

There's some good breweries Scotland but try getting a pint of real ale anywhere. 

Have you ever eaten a scottish pie ?

England were once playing Ireland, and all the jock pubs were full of Irish flags. 

Went for a week in the Highlands last year, full of tourists and all the shops and bars were staffed with Eastern Europeans. Visited the Isle of skye, the main town listed it's war memorial as as a tourist attraction.

All them deer and no staghounds, the fck is that all about ? 

Bag of wank. Give me the west country and exmoor any day.