What dog??

Well guys i am trying to do some research on what dog suits my needs. I do pigeon and rabbit shooting and would like a companion to come with me, keep me company in the hide. I have a staffy at the minute and wouldnt change her for the world. I trust her 100% with my kids. She is a protector for my family. She doesnt even like when we toy fight.

Now, when she does eventually goes i would like a gundog.

I probably have 4 or 5 years left in her yet so i am in no rush to make a sharp decision. So it gives me a lot of time.

I would like a cocker. Seen a few beating, picking up and at trials at game fairs but would they be any good at staying in a hide?

Anyone recomend any books dvds or anywhere i could gather as much info on training? 

As i have said i am in no rush but i would like to train myself first before jumping into water and not knowing how deep it is. Many thanks

Hi joe i was thinking of a lab but its a big dog and my wife is scared of big dogs. I am not into the german pointers as i got bit off one years ago and it hurt lol i jave plenty of time to try and talk the wife round to a lab bit even she is a tough 1 to crack. Saying that no one can turn a puppy down

I shoot mostly on my own but odd time go with my dad. I have been a couple of times with a mate who has a lab but nutty as a fruit cake. I like the small dog and the way they hunt. I think it would be the way i raise it as a puppy and just have a retriever and try and lower the drive on a cocker

16 hours ago, Davetyler said:

I shoot mostly on my own but odd time go with my dad. I have been a couple of times with a mate who has a lab but nutty as a fruit cake. I like the small dog and the way they hunt. I think it would be the way i raise it as a puppy and just have a retriever and try and lower the drive on a cocker

It very common these days for folks to get a family pet cocker and do pretty much just what you want with it. That drive and hunt style will come into it's own for sweeping an area for a bird that has not been marked well. They're quite happy to sit in a hide with you.

Of course a lab was made for this sort of stuff but think the compact size of a cocker has an awful lot of benefits and not many drawbacks.

• 2 weeks later...