Sign in to follow this  
Davetyler

What dog??

Well guys i am trying to do some research on what dog suits my needs. I do pigeon and rabbit shooting and would like a companion to come with me, keep me company in the hide. I have a staffy at the minute and wouldnt change her for the world. I trust her 100% with my kids. She is a protector for my family. She doesnt even like when we toy fight.

Now, when she does eventually goes i would like a gundog.

I probably have 4 or 5 years left in her yet so i am in no rush to make a sharp decision. So it gives me a lot of time.

I would like a cocker. Seen a few beating, picking up and at trials at game fairs but would they be any good at staying in a hide?

Anyone recomend any books dvds or anywhere i could gather as much info on training? 

As i have said i am in no rush but i would like to train myself first before jumping into water and not knowing how deep it is. Many thanks

German Short Haired Pointers are incredible gun dogs, mine retrieves, points, hunts and will easily sit at my side all day in a hide

He works to both shotgun and air rifle.

IMG_1134.JPG.1bb90f6689d075a61adfcd576ca5cd84.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG.603e6c405b3cbf860ca2822f677207e0.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG.545e08afe5b56520ed20ec04fd7faead.JPG

• Like 2

I'd say depends how much dog work you plan on doing if it's to replace a staffy , and for company in the hide I'd stay a lab is the dog to own, bred for standing on pegs all day and are easy to live with, atb Joe

• Like 2

Hi joe i was thinking of a lab but its a big dog and my wife is scared of big dogs. I am not into the german pointers as i got bit off one years ago and it hurt lol i jave plenty of time to try and talk the wife round to a lab bit even she is a tough 1 to crack. Saying that no one can turn a puppy down

Im thinking of a cocker.

Does anyone know of any good books to read about training. I am lucky enough to live close to a well known trainer who does have a few dvds out so i will be getting them in the next few week

You go shooting with any mates ?. what they got ?. they got them for a reason do you like how they work ?.

I shoot mostly on my own but odd time go with my dad. I have been a couple of times with a mate who has a lab but nutty as a fruit cake. I like the small dog and the way they hunt. I think it would be the way i raise it as a puppy and just have a retriever and try and lower the drive on a cocker

out of interest how do the gwp's handle water ?
From  a wildfowling point of view ? 

16 hours ago, Davetyler said:

I shoot mostly on my own but odd time go with my dad. I have been a couple of times with a mate who has a lab but nutty as a fruit cake. I like the small dog and the way they hunt. I think it would be the way i raise it as a puppy and just have a retriever and try and lower the drive on a cocker

It very common these days for folks to get a family pet cocker and do pretty much just what you want with it. That drive and hunt style will come into it's own for sweeping an area for a bird that has not been marked well. They're quite happy to sit in a hide with you.

Of course a lab was made for this sort of stuff but think the compact size of a cocker has an awful lot of benefits and not many drawbacks.

As some one who had a cocker for the house they are great pets indoors. Even being a show type he had loads of work in him but was never trained in that area or at all if honest 

seen plenty of vids with spaniels in  the hides , im thinking of getting a Labrador next year maybe a fox red one

I'd say a lab bitch. Your missus is nervous of other peoples large dogs, sure shed be fine with your family dog she's cuddled from 9 weeks old??