umbilical hernia

11 hours ago, rabbitman1234567 said:

Do small umbilical hernias heal them self

If you read things on the net some say they can heal themselves but a good vet told me they never do, they can be dangerous because the intestines could pop out of the hole and get kinked, also the lump which is just fat coming out of the hole could get ripped open in a working dog as it tries to squeeze under something when chasing it’s quarry. I’d get it done in a working dog due to the physical strains it will be under, it’s only a few stitches and costs about £150 - 200

• Like 5

If its similar to ours it won't heal and will just get worse (got a little scar from one from surgery earlier in the year) in people there one of safest hernia surgery options but the intestine can risk being strangled with umbilical hernias and risk major infections if left untreated. Hope that's helpful

7 minutes ago, NE_Monkey said:

If its similar to ours it won't heal and will just get worse (got a little scar from one from surgery earlier in the year) in people there one of safest hernia surgery options but the intestine can risk being strangled with umbilical hernias and risk major infections if left untreated. Hope that's helpful

Was that you or your dog that had the op ? 

That was me, don't know if its the same with dogs but I can't imagine it healing on its own, especially with it protruding out that much now, initially it would of been fat poking out but I would think its probably intestine now, surgery should be straight forward, obviously not risk free, but anticipate at least 3 months out action all together, before slowly starting to build back up.

ran my old beddy bull grey bitch with 1 for 8 seasons no problem...vet told me they would remove it for £250....they removed it when she had an emergency c section and removed her womb at 9 yr old without my consent....

.gave me a bill for £1800?

my young Russell has 1....when he proves he's worth feeding then I might think of getting it removed...

doesn't affect them,just cosmetic ?